1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first run with the 810

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by jeffw, Nov 24, 2005.

1. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

well we caught ourselves listening to the weather men again... 1-3 my butt. we had all of 4 on the ground at 8 am and it keept coming till about 11 am.

so i slapped on the new 810 and headed to the hospital. man those wings make sweet work of the ed entrance where there is a sweeping turn. the wings cut that job more than half. the large lot where i used to chase snow curles all morning about 150 foot push. the wings kept the snow in the direction i wanted it. super nice set up love it. we started at 830 and were all done at 1130. so it does save time like advertised. now all i need is a deflector to keep the fluffy stuff off the windshield.

jeff

2. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

Thats good to hear. Still waiting to put on my new 810. No snow yet.

3. MBB

MBB Senior Member

hey kason where in WI are you. i am by Milw.

4. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

MBB I live around the Janesville area.

5. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

Good Luck, I would not buy another 810 if it was a matter of me shoveling all my accounts. Becareful on hitting anything, my wing is bent, and hydraulics are not relieving properly, and no dealer or company support...

6. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

hmm i had no problems with the plow or the wings.... i hit about 4 curbs.. and oh ya that man hole cover that i had no idea was there sent that thing about 8 ' across the ground. the wings relased just fine whan i hit the curbs, but then again i don;t need to drive 30 when plowing near curbs. im much more carefull. i even plowed the gravel lot with no problmes using the wings out and in and in scoop. everything worked flawless. i seen your post one thing came to mind poor dealer service for you or an adjustemnt. there is usually a releif valve adjustemt. if your is adjusted wrong that is why you had problmes.
    sorry to hear your not happy with the blizzard.. if you sell it post it up here im sure someone would take it off your hands.

i outplowed the fisher v all day.. all he would do is look and stare at me getting wide:yow!:

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Same here, hoping it was worth the money..:cool:

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I only saw one Blizz today, was on a cabover Fuso or Isuzu 4x4 with a sander plowing a Lowes lot. It looked so cool, I wanted to stop and watch! The only plowing that got done here (2 in) is comm. lots for places that were open for biz. I found myself looking at guys plowing Walmart and other stores with 8 foot straight blades, and wondering how can anybody stand to use a straight blade? Especially on a huge lot. I wonder why everybody doesn't have a Blizzard?

9. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

These past couple of days. I've been busy for the first time with the 8611. I must of hit a few curbs, hard enough to nock my F550 over a foot. wing in the extend position, no problems, nothings bent, works just the same as when I first bought it.
    Question I've been back blading with the wings extended, faster that way, covers more area and soaved time on retacting/extendidng the wings. I notice that the wings spring back a little when backblading is this something that's not good. Why is it bad to backblade with the wings extended? If there is spring action shoud'nt that protect them from damage from backblading?
    Another note I find the polar edges nice but they don't scrape down to the pavement as well as the steel ones.

10. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

It might just be my 810, but I wouldn't buy another one. Its not just the quality, but there is no service, dealer or company support. I thought boss was bad with dealer support, but this is not acceptable...

11. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

Support may get better with the new ownership??? Good luck guys.

12. zsqure

zsqure Junior Member

What is the difference in weight between 810 and 8611? Did you consider going to the larger plow? I have a v plow and can see the time difference, I have an 863 with an ss810 that out plows me and my groundspeed is faster. I would have a difficult time giving up my urethane edge. It does a decent job removing snow and my truck doesn't get beat up.

13. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Well I have used my 810 alot in the last week and all I can say is great!! I can not believe the time savings. I still am hoping for the long term reliability my fischer gave me. But there is now way I could go back to a straight blade.
    I have been doing alot of drives, paved lots and gravel lots. So its been getting a good all around test. So far the only problem has been a burnt out headlight. The wings have been getting tested on curbs,dirt piles and frozen snow piles. I did hit a manhole cover that the wing managed to pull the cover out of the hole. And the only damage was the wing must of "sprung" back because the top edge was behind the main blade, so it would not retract. All I had to do was use a screw driver and pop it back in front.
    I do not abuse my equipment, but I do buy stuff and use it to get the job done. So I usally will like something that I felt did its job. But I need a few more years before I can claim to much on the reliabilty. I am hoping with the new owners,fischer will put there hands in it it "fine tune it":redbounce

14. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

I would also like to know about backdragging with the wings out, It would be nice to leave them out, but everyone said don't, so I tried to make a point to put them in everytime. What is the official word from Blizzard? I can't find anything in the manual that says don't do it. But it doesn't say it is ok to do it either.

15. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

when back blading my 810 says pull em in. i think it puits stress one the pistons as it tries to hold em in so the spring motion your getting is due to the piston pulling or extending and the closing back in on suction.. can;t be that good for the valve body.

whats with the wings and popping man holes? i tossed one 8' never seen that before with the straight blade. must just be the angle of delivery i guess. anyhoo no damage to the wing just a small mark on the cutting edge.

jeff

16. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I don't know about the mechanical results involved in backblading with the wings out, but mine seems to pack up with snow/ice faster if I don't retract. Sometimes you don't want to take the time to do it, but it's saved me time in the long run by being able to retain the full use of the wings longer before I finally have to go thaw them out, which most of the time seems to be inevitable, depending on moisture content, etc.