1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First push of the season.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buswell Forest, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

First push of the season done today. Only 3/4 of an inch, but they wanted it done. Hope this is a sign of the things to come.

2. CCL Landscaping

CCL Landscaping Senior Member

How is that 9.6 xv2 holding up on the f250? I'm thinking of getting one but am concerned it may be too big for the truck

3. Buswell Forest

from NH

My F250 has the 10,000 GVW package, so it's 1 lb away from being classified as an F350. Most every F250 I have seen has the 10K package too.
    As for mine, it carries it like it isn't even there. Pushes it like it was a 7-1/2 footer. The truck is more than capable.

FYI, if you buy one, turn the traction control off when you plow, and use the locking rear only to back out of bad spots...if you use the locker pushing you go sideways in a hurry. And the traction control will just wear your brakes out for nothing when you plow.

EDIT:

After re-reading your post, I think you might be asking more about the plow than the truck.
    Mine is the Xtreme V, not the X-V-2. I think the X-V-2 is maybe 200 lbs heavier, but I am not sure. Either way, the F250 can take it easily.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. CCL Landscaping

My question was about both. Thanks for the input. Looking at a 2012 leftover f350 and a 2014 f250 right now

5. Buswell Forest

from NH

If you will carry a sander, get the F350..just so you can be under GVWR.
    The F250 can carry a loaded 1.5 and the 9.5 V plow, but it will be over. Only matters if DOT is a concern..If the F350 has the 11,400 GVW, I'd go with that one. My next truck will be the F350.
    EDIT:

Leftover 2012 F350??? Wow! It should be cheeeep. If you plan on trading while it still has value, I would probably try and find a leftover 13...that extra year will hit you in the wallet.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  6. Buswell Forest

from NH

Dang Ford, they are offering the 2015, (that's right- a '15!!) Superduty diesels in January of 2014.
    Why on earth would they put out a 15 in the first month of 14?

7. CCL Landscaping

It has the 10500 gvw. And it is cheap but its also bare bones. i thinking of going with the 2014 that has the power group (heated mirrors, power locks and windows)

8. Buswell Forest

from NH

Mine is an XL with a rubber floor mat, optional cloth seats, electronic 4x4, E-locking rear diff, Fx4 package, power windows and locks, heated mirrors, and trailer brake..oh, and roof lights.
    I thought I would miss having a carpet, but it turns out...I LOVE the rubber floor mat.
    Couldn't live with vinyl seats though, or without any of the other options.
    Some guys want manual hubs and a lever on the floor, I say that's crazy talk. The knob on the dash is right up there with expensive hootch and female company on a cold winter night.

9. Buswell Forest

from NH

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  10. Buswell Forest

from NH

FYI, my truck is the 6.2 gas, 385 hp, 405 fpt. More than enough power. Averages 14.3 mpg on the dash over 1000 miles on mostly 35-45 mph back roads. Gets 15 or so as an average on the highway @ 55-60.
    Plowing, 11 mpg.

11. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

What size tires are yu running and what cab configuration? I just got an 11 350 it came with 285s from the previous owner..im averaging 10- 12 mixed towing often. Thats a reg cab SRW. Also did you mean 10400 gvwr or is there an 11400 ? Or would that be a dually?

12. Buswell Forest

from NH

245/70/17.
    My back roads are up n down, twisty...like Durham Maine, no doubt.
    On perfectly flat 35 mph posted roads, doing 38-40 steady, I can hold a steady 20 mpg. Engine turns 900-1000 RPM in 6th gear with the TC locked.

I pulled a 16' boat with a 50hp merc on it from here in NH to Auburn Maine, and got about 14 average.

I have seen srw F350 4x4s with 11,200, and 11,300, and 11,400 GVW. I think the spring packages and tires and engine all factor in.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  13. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

Traction control on my Chevy hd is quiet the opposite. It's like cheating when you plow. Unless you need some wheel speed.
    And brake wise its quiet he opposite. No brake work needed until it hit 97,000. The pads still were decent then but he rotors needed turning sp it made sense.

14. Buswell Forest

from NH

I just don't like the brakes wearing for no reason. And the noise and feel give me the piss shivers too.
    My limited slip works well, and I don't notice any difference between using it and not- except that the noise and feel go away. It's a feature thought up for women I think.

15. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

I can't say it affect the wear at all. The biggest advantage I can see is if you drop the wheels in a hole or off the edge of the pavement and you get in that buzz the tires situation that usually means you're stuck even if only temporarily.
    A that point the stars all line up and you don't even spin a wheel and it pops right out.
    I push a lot of off road utility sites and seasonal camps and find it very helpful. At first I shut it off thinking it wasn't for me but I was wrong.
    Now if I do stick it I shut it off and go for pure wheel speed but that's far less frequent than it used to be.

16. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

had my first plow today felt nice to get back to doing it. bring on more snow .