1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Push of Season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim C, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Tim C

Tim C Member

Started at 8am sat. finished at 1pm 27 reg. customers picked up 3 more. my route is booked for season. What really through me off was friday night, the weather guessers said 1-3" woke up at 6:30 to the sound of dpw plowing. Did not even hook up plow night before. This event woke me up, always be prepared even if they predict a no plowiing event. Was great to get a run in before the holidays payup :drinkup: . Hope everyone else had a good first :waving:

Let it snow!!!!! Tim C

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Same thing happened here.I woke up and heard the state plows going by.I thought to my self "No way couldnt be" looked out the window threw on clothes real fast,hooked up our two plows, next thing i know i spent half the day plowing.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I just finshed clean up today, we got around 6". Iam suprised more did not melt today, i figured it would be all gone, still no grass showing anywhere. Of course i get the normal late calls thinking i have an ice plow and not a snow plow :mad: "You can't plow ice" i try to tell them. These dumb a$$es are usually freinds of mine but just when it snows and they are too cheap to hire me on a regular basis, i end up plowing them just to be nice. Scrape off the top, throw down some ice melt and come back in an hour to do the rest.

Iam amazed at how many plowers with much more experience then me were not prepared for this storm. I had my plows mounted friday afternoon about an hour before the changeover to snow. Personall i was not expecting to have to plow everyone on my route, but we got so much snow so i had to. Just put the trucks with the plows mounted in the garage the night before set the alarm for 4 am and was ready if needed. I was laughing at my neighbor who had to drive through 6" of snow in his 300 yard long back yard to mount his plow. Use some common sense :rolleyes: If snow accumlation is even a remote possibility have the plows at the ready :nod:

4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Well, you're smart beyond your years Chris. I certainly got caught unaware.

You know that where I live was supposed to get all rain or "a dusting". Which is just what we got. But, a mere 20 minutes away, they had 4 to 6! I'm looking out the window in the morning and I can still see blacktop on half the street, so I figured, nah not even worth going out there. Survey says......wrong answer!
    I should have known better than to take the weather man's word for one.
    Like you said, even if there's a remote chance, I should have been hooked up and ready to roll, especially since it only takes a minute to do.
    Yeah, looking back at it, if I had of been up when you were and put the news on, I'd have known there was significant snow within a half hour drive. Even with no accounts in that area, I bet if I'd been cruising neighborhoods early in the morning when people wanted to get out, I'd have gotten some flag downs. Then again, maybe not, but I should have tried because by the time I did get out, it was way too late. :( All I got to do was pull a couple of kids in a rice burner out of a ditch.
    Well, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. That won't happen again!