1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First push in Minnesota..... and a THANK YOU!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Moosehunter, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Howdy All.... :waving:

Our first blast of snow went well. Close to 6" in our area of the metro. We did your commercial accounts and a couple residentials. Even helped out a local company with a bit of sub work.

Trucks performed flawlessly and the new plows worked out FANTASTIC!!! I'm not to sure about my joystick controller, but other than that.... Two thumbs up!!

Seems like everytime you get new equipment you go through a bit of the "learning" phase. What works and what doesn't on your new set-up. This is where sites like this come in real handy. You can see what has worked for others in the industry and relate that info to your own presonal scenerio.

A special Thank You to everyone who makes this site possible!!!! :salute: As well as all the members. My hat is off to you as well!!!

Keep up the good work and I hope you all have a great
    payup season!!!

2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

:realmad: No snow here...yet,,, wish I could take a picture after I plowed snow....:D
  3. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Very nice looking truck and plow set up!!! :salute:
  4. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Hi Dan,

Where are you from? I'm in Plymouth. The first plow of the year went well for me also, didn't take long to get my "snowplowing legs" under me again. I've got a Western 8' Pro Poly too, what don't you like about the joystick controller?

Joel B.
  5. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Thanks for kind words. I see by our taste in plows, great minds think alike!!!:nod: You've got a great looking set up yourself!!!

Joel B.....

Plymouth, ya say? I'm a bit southwest of you in Cologne. But most of our commercial accounts are inside the metro area. Who ya plowin' for?

As far as my controller.... Maybe it's just my mount, but the darn thing keeps moving around on me. I tend to hammer on the joystick sort of hard. It's mounted on my left side so I can work the gears and steer with my right. I'm thinking maybe the CabCommand would have been a better choice for me. It's only the beginning of the season so I guess time will tell.... If ya ever need any help up your way, just PM me and I'll be there!!!

Great to hear from another MinneSNOWton......

6. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I'm plowing for myself, I started my own business a couple years ago (mowing, plowing, leaf clean-up).

As for the controller, I know what you mean. I finally got some heavy duty rubber bands and secured the controller to the center arm rest. Looks a little cheesy but works quite well and I didn't have to drill holes or permanently mount it in my truck.

Thanks for the offer of help, I will keep you in mind. Likewise, if you ever need a hand let me know.

Joel B.
  7. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Of coarse the plows worked flawlessly they are Westerns. ;)

Still waiting on snow here.

8. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Ah snow, we've had our second plowable event here. We never get snow in Nov. now we've had two events. Life's good.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

that should make for a good christmaspayup payup
  10. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Helps to get kids into college.;)
  11. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

How about this, guys? Coming at you from Buffalo. Blew a fitting on the wing, but nothing we couldn't plow with.

ram 1-2.jpg
  12. Boots_R_On

Boots_R_On Junior Member

Did you spread any material?
  13. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

its great that some of us plowers can finally get back to work doing what we do best. now all you guys gotta do is send some of the snow up here to new york. :D

hey windmill your plow isn't on your truck, what happened?:(

14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

All I can say is I'm sooooooo jealous, it's 44 here today no sign of the snow:angry: :angry: :angry:
  15. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Mike, the truck without the blade is grasshopper's and it's used as the spare. He runs two trucks with plows and my truck runs a plow and sander. Don't worry, we (think we) know what we're doing. :)

BTW We ate our turkey weeks ago here in Canad :) I hope yours will be as good!:D
  16. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i had my wife sew a piece of velcro long enough to go around my thigh and attach it to back of my plow controller. i wrap that around my leg. very convenient, no reaching for it, always know where leg is LOL...only drawback, you HAVE to make sure you take off before you get out of vehicle, or it raises hell with the wires
  17. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

I guess it's my yankee ignorance coming through. I'm really surprised to hear you say the BC never gets any snow in November. Are you near the Pacific? We hear about the great skiing up there. Is that further north?
  18. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Hey don't worry about the ignorance I'm sure there are some people up here who wonder what the name of your queen is down there? :D
    Actually I'm located inland from the coast (Okanagan Valley), we're on the rainshadow side of the coast mountains so we don't get a lot here in the valley. Even the southern coastal area dosn't get a lot of snow due to the warm ocean. Our mountains get lots of snow so skiing is a big thing here. Our local mountain is Silver Star with Big White about an hour away from us.
    This is great fruit country ( edible I'm talking about):rolleyes:. Lots of apples, pears, cherries, peaches, nectarines, etc.
  19. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

Sounds great up there, especially the gorgeous wife who can cook! Are you too far from the mountains to plow there?
  20. windmill

windmill Senior Member

After being married for over 25 years I figure I have to say nice things about her to help keep her happy.:) Her good cooking has put me out of shape.:(
    We aren't too far from the mountains but there aren't a lot of houses up the mountains and being somewhat rural many people have tractors or ATVs to do their own plowing. Most of my plowing is in town.