1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Purchase of 2008

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by SnowPro93, Feb 1, 2008.

1. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Bought a 97 F350, 351, 27k original miles, the frame is absolute junk. It's snapped in the rear, you can see in the picture. So i ordered a used frame for $400 from AZ, swapping everything over to the new frame in a week or two. Paid $500 for the truck. So in all not counting me and my uncles labor it'll be a 97 f350 dump with 27k miles for $1k....can't complain.

f350_1.JPG

f350_2.JPG

f350_3.JPG

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

what kind of plow goin on...

3. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

That should work nicely

4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Looks like some one but to much weight behind the axle a few to many times or were towing something to heavy a few to many times. Should be a quick and easy job to switch it over. I've done it a few times we got are southern body's and frames out of P.A. Complete body, front clip , cab with complete interior and bed for 1500.00.

5. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

i dunno if i'm going to throw a plow on it because it's 2wd, and if i do its going on with the state so i'll just throw one of the fisher conventionals i have lying around with a 9' blade.

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldnt it be easier to weld it back together and then weld/bolt a plate over it?

I have been wondering about this with broken frames. A local lawn company broke the frame on their 3500HD 4x4 chev a few years ago plowing and the thing hasnt moved since. Was going to offer them something for it but...?

Is it not possible to do?

7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Its deffinately doable NBI. That frame looks pretty rusty though, so not a bad idea to switch. A frame that still looks good other then the broken part could easily be fixed. When you plate it make sure the welds only run horizontal, not vertical. You want them to go with the frame so it doesn't make a weak spot. Remember to put some spot plugs in too. A good fix will be stronger then the rest of the frame, and when painted will barely be noticable.

8. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Looks good

9. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

its really only takes a couple days to switch over the components if you know what your doing. This frame is well beyond repair.

10. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

I have a couple trucks with the frame broken in the same spot. It was a problem in those year trucks with frame's braking. I just weld plates into mine. much stronger then factory and .25 of the work. I would cancel your order and just repair it. Chances are your new frame will do the same exact thing

11. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

then u do a preemptive strike and weld a plate on it

12. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

But it's a Ford :confused:

13. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

ya i know, if you can't tell by my sig, i'm a chevy guy, but it was $500. And on the thought of repairing it, the whole frame up to the drop before the cab is weak, so replacing it and then reinforcing it is the way to go in my mind.

14. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

hey Pro I'm just messin with ya! Believe me, I'd a bought something like that for 500 too!

But my favorite saying is "IF IT'S FREE IT'S FOR ME" :drinkup:

15. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Nice buy!!! I'd have bought that in the blink of an eye too! I'm looking to possibly get an '89 F350 dumb w/ a 460 this summer at a local County auction.... I believe the opening bid should be around $500 to $600 (they sold a similar truck about a two years ago for $600!).

16. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

wow even with labor a grand for a 97 dump is a deal and a half

17. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Any true redneck could fix that minor issue with a little duct tape and a screwdriver!
    Just picking! Good find.
    I, too, would put the new frame under it, then brace it up. We've 'doubled', and stretched frames on dump trucks at the farm I work on. They put longer, taller boxes on them, and we're always overloading them, the stock frames wouldn't hold up.