1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First problem - MVP+

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Rampart Ranger, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

I have been very pleased with my 8.5 MVP+ except...

Developed problem - Under exteme cold (several -20F nights) SLOW response from pump and rams. Fluid is cold temp Western. Activation of pump results in SEVERE battery discharge, and cuttout of radio and ABS fault. NO problems above 32F.

2002 7.3 Powerstroke
    130 amp alt
    2-875 CCA Interstate batts
    12.7 on voltmeter @ idle (even after charging 1 hr)
    Batts on separate charger (without disconnect from system) show no more than 65% charge after 3 hrs @ 12 amps)

Is it Batts, Alt, or fault in wiring?

Starting system is weak but passable without plow @ -20F, will start but shows low amps (to be expected with GP circuit pulling half of available amps).

Not oil temp (plugged in, heater working).

My guess is bad batts (only 12 months old). Or bad Alt (not as likely as no problem starting if allowed to charge from Alt prior to shutdown).

Bad batts IMHO. You folks got better intuition? Only test equipment on hand is voltmeter.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  2. Rampart Ranger

Also, has anyone had a problem with the computerized isolation module?

Initial setup showed all systems good (for 1 month), now have fast blink left - but NO bad bulbs, configuration plug OK, no bad connections (all soldered, shrinktubed, doublechecked).

Dang, I wish we could get away with simple hardwire! MagCL plays hell with soldered and shrinktubed let alone computers!:yow!:
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  3. doh

doh Senior Member

I would suspect a dying battery first off, at -20F they are operating at 25-30% capacity.

Next would be bushing and brushes, in the pump motor, you didn't say how old the plow is?

Third and last, How fast does the plow drop? When my quill was in to far on my Western Pro str blade, it really drain the battery to operate it in raise and angle, the charging system couldn't keep up and the radio and two way would shut off.
  4. Rampart Ranger

MVP+ was new in November 06.

I suspect batts also. We are supposedly in for several warm sunny days, I will disconnect both batts and see if they come up to full on charger.

I DID adjust quill in quite a bit on install. Will back her out and test.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007