1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Posts, faced with a tough call

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tonygrig94, Oct 27, 2015.

?

What set up is best?

1. Western 8' Steel (NEW)

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Boss 8' Steel (NEW)

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Boss 8' 2" V-Plow Steel or Poly (USED)

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

Hey guys,

Sorry to drop a bomb on the my first post but I am COMPLETELY torn on which plow is right for me. A little background on myself, I am 21 I have been plowing private lots since well, since I could touch the pedals in my dads truck. I have two years under my belt now in my own truck. I recently sold my 04' Ford with a Meyers EZ Classic set up in exchange for a 09' GMC 2500hd Duramax Z71 (Crew Short). I am stuck between a few options for a few reasons weight, width and brand popularity. I know the GM's have weak front ends so I fully plan to install Timbrens to help out. What is a reasonable set up? My lots are very big with even some small roads to do. Travel time is approx. 15 mins so I do not have to drive far with it. Options listed below.

A. Western Straight 8' Steel (NEW)
    B. Boss Straight 8' Steel (NEW)
    C. Boss 8' 2" V-Plow poly or steel (USED)

My budget is about $5,200

I guess I'm looking for some insight from "seasoned" professionals on the best option to go with. Sorry for the long post especially my intro.

Thanks in advance for any advise! Please let me know if you have any questions!

2. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Direct lift is better.

4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Just want to point out that the entire video you posted was made to advertise the western and make boss look bad. We plowed with a boss straight blade with trip edge and it was awesome.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Used to be fan of full trip....if a DD product, trip edge. They also save transmissions.

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Do yourself a huge favor and buy a v blade. Dont waste money on a straight plow. Fisher, Western and Boss would be my first choices

7. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

Don't get me wrong I've heard GREAT things about both but there seemed to be some factual information there.

8. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

No worries regarding weight on the front end of a GM?

9. 1olddogtwo

I'm a huge Western guy, buts it all tricky. Google "1olddogtwo" on utube for a real plow action.

10. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Im a boss fan, found them to scrape better than other plows I have used. That being said a former company i worked for had Fishers (same as Westerns if I am correct?) and it was a V blade that I loved.

My boss at my current job has a Fisher V blade and I still love it, easy to work on. Im just saying don't fully trust the video, as they warn you about with the stuff regarding court cases due to that video.

Biggest thing when buying would be dealer support.

11. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

+1 for dealer support

12. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

I watched a few, seems pretty awesome. You a FORD, GM or Dodge? It seemed to be pushing pretty damn good.

13. 1olddogtwo

SuperDuty.

14. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

Makes sense. I need someone to chime in with a GM and tell me that I wont have front end issues with the added weight of a V-Plow with my crew duramax

15. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

My 08 2500 with 210,000 on it and vee plow has held up great. Boss fan !!

16. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

Thank you!!! Hoping to receive more info like this. I'm only at 105k

17. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

2004 GMC 2500HD ECSB 204K miles, 9'2" Boss Poly V-DXT, SnowEx 8500 Vbox, front and rear Timbrens. Plowed like a MoFo. Just traded it in on a 2015 Denali and running same setup. Edit: both Duramax diesel.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  18. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

There's a hundred guys on here with Duramax V plow combinations. Your front end will be fine. Add Timbrens, turn up your torsion bars and call it a day. Go with a V or a minimum of a straight with wings or don't even bother.

19. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Buy the vee, crank bars, maybe add timbrens.

20. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Plow I installed last year for a friend, 2500 duramax CCSB. No suspension adjustments and 0 issues last season.

IMG_20141213_123520_407.jpg