1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Post + Truck Questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ctsoth, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ctsoth

ctsoth Junior Member

Hello, Thank you for the use of this forum. I have a few questions, but I want you to know I did use the search function first...... I just am not that familiar with it yet. Anyway, on to my questions.

I am looking at a 1993 GMC Sierra 1500 4wd, 5.7l, extended cab, 6ft box, automatic, 130,000 miles. It has a new transmission. Reputable seller, personal friends [we do some car work in his shop]. Vehicle price is 2k. Obviously a plow would be added to the front. Plow work would be residential. What do you guys think of the truck? Seller is second owner, but has done the maintenance on the vehicle for the life of the vehicle, so history is known.

Would it be proper to assume that with a 1500 you don't want to go over a 7'6" plow?

I am also thinking about a 97-99 powerstroke diesel but the cost is exponentially greater. I'm thinking that for a residential plow truck the sierra would be fine.

Thank you all for your time, I understand these same questions have been asked but I haven't learned the best way to word searches yet...

2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

The truck is fine. For dead end residentials (Garages and driveways) you can stick with a straight blade to begin with. See what you can do with your front end to beef it up for the weight of the plow. And use some ballast in the rear, like bags of cement, sand....etc.

A 7' 6" straight blade will back drag from a garage door really well.
  3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 9' on our 1500...weight wise it isn't much heavier but its all about your application, if you don't need the wider plow then dont get one.

if you can afford the diesel, that's the way to go. generally stockier and plows better. IMO
  4. searay220

searay220 Member

I had the same truck and you don't want to go any larger than a 7.5ft plow. Even with that plow use Timbrens in the front and ballast weight in the bed behind the wheels. Plus if your doing driveways your not going to want anything bigger. That's a pretty old truck so remember you get what you pay for.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Buy the Chevy...start small and then upgrade in a couple of years.