1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First post on the forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JoeInPI, Jan 5, 2016.

1. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

Hello everyone, just joined the forum. I have some investment properties, so I am putting a plow on my truck to see how much money I can lose in the shortest possible amount of time. :)

Actually, I just want to have some control, since we've had vendor issues for a few years.

I even read the "Start here" post!

1: Yep, both!

2: I'm me!

3: Starting with my F-150 (2010) & an MD-75/Timbrens to see how this goes...

4: I don't pay myself as it is. This is the new economy.

5: Handled.

6: Salting handled through a salting Co-op. (Several of us buy in bulk)

7: Me, of course!

8: Downwind, and as far out of the way as possible without blocking views, since we get a s******d of snow up here. :D

9: I haven't been able to sleep well in a long time anyhow, see answer for question 4.

10: I still enjoy working for myself, even if it's only a pot of bronze.

Looking forward to learning from the vast knowledge here though!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

What Vendor issues are you having? If your one to stand out there and tell the vendor how to do his job if reputable you will have these issues. I don't recommend doing this yourself not that your not capable. The reason is most fail. What about liability's? What about breakdowns with one truck? What about sidewalks? Are you willing to be available 24/7? Do you have any knowledge of moving snow or spreading. Your truck is to light IMO others will disagree. How many acres do you have?

Maybe a link to these property's would help.

3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the nut house, sit back, hang on and enjoy the ride... :waving:

4. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

:nod::yow!::laughing::laughing: Maybe if it would snow it would get better. Nothing to do, I just want to go to the tavern after breakfast. But old enough to no better. Unfortunately :laughing:

5. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

Hi Fred,

Vendors not showing up for 2-3 days after snowfalls of 2-4", one seriously showed up with a mower fitted with a plow instead of a truck because his "buddy borrowed his truck and wasn't back from up north yet." to come out and finish jobs like clearing sidewalks that they were supposed to do. These are lndscapers who have done commercial work for years, and was contracted at $65 per push for a simple driveway clear. Ridiculous service.

I don't micromanage vendors. I do, however, require someone to be capable to remove snow from a driveway without having to stand there and watch them do it, my properties are rental houses and two small offices, which are only 25 spot lots.

24-7 is part of what is driving this too- I am already available 24-7, and have been out there clearing properties whenever needed when the vendors were supposed to have been there.

Yes, I have knowledge and previous experience with what to do, how to do it, I cleared snow for commercial accounts and shopping malls with everything from trucks, to skidsteers, to wheel loaders with ProTec boxes.

My situation isn't one of those "I can run a plow truck, so I can run a business better than my cheap-ass boss does" guys who fails 3 months later. :D

Trust me- I have run my businesses for decades, and I'm pretty sure I can move some snow, be protected, and keep my renters safe. Thanks for the vote of confidence advising me not to plow- jeez! :) I do know where you are coming from though, and the knowledge is definitely appreciated. :)

As far as my F-1Fiddy, it is small, but for what I have to take care of right now, it is fine. If I need to do my commercial accounts (small doctors offices, etc.) I'll just buy a 3/4 ton with a plow. Then I also have 2 trucks if needed, but for right now, this is all I would need.

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You sound like you know what you're doing. And your equipment will be fine for what you do, even the small commercial lots. Just make sure you're insured for plowing. I'd have a minimum of a 1M general liability policy.

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

It sounds like you got it all figured out, What kind of advise are you looking for? I hope somebody is not stirring the sauce.:nod:

8. JoeInPI

JoeInPI Junior Member

Set there, I carry 1M on my LLC, and will be notifying the agent that I am adding a plow for that additional coverage when I get the board installed next week...

I'm sure I have less figured out than I think. I've got a good starting point, but as everyone knows- the devil is in the details... :) At some point, I'm sure someone will ask me to do something or answer something that I will have to ask you about, and I'm never afraid to ask for help on what I don't know... Thumbs Up

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Got Ya, Good Luck

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Make sure your insurance people know what you got in mind. My GL had to have (completed snow operations) Make sure they no you will be using no loaders etc. You know you will need slip and fall unless its tied in to your current GL I don't know.

You appear to be all set, Don't forget a service light.:D