1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First post, older plow stopped working

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tanbuddy, Jan 26, 2014.

1. tanbuddy

tanbuddy Junior Member
    from poconos

I have an older 6 1/2 foot plow on my 89 ranger. It has cable operated controls and the frame and motor stay on the truck. It worked fine on Tuesday, now it wont do anything.
    When I pull the lever, I can hear the motor spinning like its trying to pump, but it wont move. I checked the fluid, it was full. I usually put it in a garage overnight, but didn't last night, that's the only thing that changed.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If it's real cold there may be moisture in your fluid plugging sump screen (fluid pickup). Get it in warm shop for a few hours, drain the fluid into clear container to see water in the fluid. Replace with fresh and try again. Use blue fluid if u can. Not auto trans fluid.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  3. tanbuddy

tanbuddy Junior Member
    from poconos

Ill bring it the garage tomorrow, and see what happens. I have been running atf through it since i got it 3 years ago.

4. mishnick

These old cable plows did have a sticker that says to use ATF and because of the large valve orifices, so I am told, they will run fine; however, when they made these units the blue fluid had not been invented yet. On my Western course they said to use the blue aircraft plow fluid in all plows because it has a stable viscosity at a very wide temperature range. But it's up to you, if you have ATF you can use it. But you will find the plow runs slower when the temp dips very low.

5. tanbuddy

tanbuddy Junior Member
    from poconos

I jacked up the plow and chained it to bring it in, and noticed something funny. I could angle the plow by hand almost all the way, almost like the angle cylinders have just air in them. When i conneced each cylinder to each other, i could swing the plow all the way by hand as expected. The wierd thing is the lify cylinder is holding at 1/2 way down. I can put it down with the control, then when i lift the lever it will stop. It wont come back up though.
    Ill see how it is in hte morning.

6. mishnick

Sounds like you may have some cable to valve linkage adjustment issues. Maybe the angle valve is staying open allowing fluid to move freely. It is normal for the blade to move if you connect the rams to each other, the fluid just shifts from ram to ram.

7. tanbuddy

tanbuddy Junior Member
    from poconos

truck warmed up in the garage, and it works fine now. I cant angle the plow by hand anymore eather(unless the 2 cylinders are hooked together)
    It was wierd but at least it was afree fix. Next time it snows ill just put it in the garage the night before.

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

If you have water in the valve body where the cables hookup then when it freezes it won't allow the cable to move. Pretty common unless the cable entrance is sealed with silicone.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

That's common then you get mad and push on the stick to much and break the cable clips on the bottom of the box

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

ahh yes, good point western1 dude. you can also fill those cavities under the covers with grease so the water has no place to sit in there.

11. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yea good call. Used to do that also but messy when changing cables.

12. tanbuddy

tanbuddy Junior Member
    from poconos

Thanks for the help...one more question, how tight is the big nut around the lift cylinder supposed to be. mine was only finger tight so i snugged it s little with a channel lock

13. mishnick

That plow uses a packing nut meaning the tighter the nut the tighter the seal pushes on the ram. Too tight and it will bind, too loose and it will leak. Unlike the new ones that r torqued to specific ft/lbs. maybe one of the old timers can tell u a torque spec.

14. tanbuddy

tanbuddy Junior Member
    from poconos

OK, Snug engough should be good enough then. It doesnt leak like crazy, just a small weep when i park it overnight wiht the plow up. Thanks

15. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, it says 'not more than 1/4 turn after you feel the packing nut contact the packings. over tightening affects cylinder operation and packing life.'