1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first post need advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ashevagasnc, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ashevagasnc

ashevagasnc Junior Member
    from nc

Hello all, I have been plowing one lot with a JDeer compact tractor for the last 5 years and contracting out all my other comericals out to a few different companies at $100.00 a hour. Live in the NC mountains last two years we have had a lot of snow and I feel I am better doing all my lots myself.

Problem I have now is I only have a 2010 Ford extended cab 4.6 v 8. What type of plow can or should I invest in? Most of our snows are around 4 to 8 in. range. If we get hammered I know I will have to plow during the snow.

Thanks

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

7.5 footer of your brand choice or buy from the closest dealer to you regardless of the brand they sell. I say that loosely only for the convenience of parts and service.

We don't have many dealers in NC. I run a Fisher for the following two reasons.

1. I have always run Fishers.
    2. My plowing employer runs all Fishers so I can get parts from him in a pinch. There are no Fisher dealers around my parts. I order stuff online.

3. ashevagasnc

from nc

Do you think my truck can handle a 7.5 foot. The only dealer in Asheville is a Boss dealer. Should I go with a comercial or residential plow? I may only plow 10 hours per event.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'd go with Boss then. Great plow. A Sport Duty model would work, but I wouldn't hesitate with a regular duty either. Keep up with the storm and your F150 will do fine. Make sure to not skimp on the ballast behind the rear axle.

5. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I know it sounds gimp but Boss makes a pretty good poly plow for your truck. Do some searching on the ford subforum on this site and you'll find lots of insight.
    Pete

6. ashevagasnc

from nc

Boss dealer was real negitive on a poly plow, why I did not ask. This is the reason I have posted on plow site go to the experts. My front axil GVW is 3750lbs the 7.5 ft he proposed required 3900lbs front axil GVW. He stated that going with the heavier plow was no big issue except it would exclude all the BOSS and Ford warrenties.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

You can get a fisher HT plow its for half ton trucks

8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I would not overload the axles .... you void the warranties as you have stated and it would give the insurance company a reason not to pay up in case of a claim ..... don't do it !!!!!

9. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

My boss 7.6 STD Plow handled 16 hour plow events until year 2.5 when the front bearings needed replacing. I started with 62 driveways and had about 75 the next two years. Its 597lbs.
    I put a shock absorber on and left on the 3rd spring, it rarely tripped. Did a small lot with it the first year also.

10. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Check out snow dogg. They have some good prices and have lighter duty plows to fit your needs. I just got the HD75 and am quite impressed especially for the value.

11. ashevagasnc

from nc

Thanks for all the help, with the few snows we get around these parts plus not having at least a 2500 truck that can handle the proper plow I thank I will stick it out with my sub who has not let me down the last two years. I will have a wad of new $100.00 bill ready for him this season, if I spent $5k on a plow it would not snow in these mountains ever again. I will try to move my JD tractor around sooner and not wait until the roads are perfect this year and make a few extra $.

Thanks