1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Post and a question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Greg-NWO, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Junior Member

Just picked up a new Boss 7'6" Standard Duty plow on the weekend. I got it as a leftover from last season on sale.

While unpacking and mocking it up I discovered that they gave me the standard duty blade but the super duty push frame etc. (I bought it uninstalled). Looking through everything I don't see why it won't work but wanted to check before I go too far. The only option I have if it doesn't work is to return the whole works and then I wouldn't be getting a deal on a new setup so I'm kind of hoping it will work this way.

The one part I'm a little concerned about is the mounting bolts that connect the push frame to the blade. The manual does not list them as being any different on the standard plow vs. the super duty plow but they seem really long... there must be a couple inches of thread showing.

Anyway, can't wait to get plowing although I don't mind waiting a bit longer for winter :)

2. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Junior Member

Anyone able to post up a pic of the mounting bracket between the blade and the push frame on their 7'6" Standard or Super duty?

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pictures

well i do not know if they will help but this is on a 2003 7 1/2 super duty .

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I'm 99% sure the A-frames are the same, and you should have no problem putting the plow together.

5. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Junior Member

Ok cool. Everything is mocking up properly so far and I haven't found anything that would indicate they wouldn't work. Thanks!

6. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Junior Member

Here's my one concern so far. The manual clearly states 3/4" x 4" hex bolts with nylon lock nuts but these look way to big. The nut is just loosely threaded on the end of the bolt.

Also not sure how much of a gap there should be between the two mount tabs?

The manual says these bolts should be torqued to 208ft/lbs but the nut is going to bottom out on the threads before I can start to tighten it.

mount-bolts.jpg

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

?

your going to be hard pressed to get 200 LBS on that bolt ,unless it is shouldered .i have put a few together ,only used a 1/2 impact with a swivel to snug them down the plates would be smashed together and keep it from being able to trip properly . i just ran them down snug to were the plates started tweeking a little bit just my two cent's worth .

8. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Junior Member

Ok, does that looks like the ones you put together though?

It just looks wrong to me but this is the first one I've ever put together so I'm not sure how they normally work.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's nothing wrong. The bolts are supposed to have that much thread protruding so there's a full shoulder in the tabs instead of threads. The lack of threads inside the holes prevents said threads from sawing at the holes which is so common amongst the plow brans thus causing unnecessary wear. Boss is one of the few that are smart enough (or care enough) to include bolts that allow the full shoulder to protrude completely through the tabs.

And your tab gaps are just fine. Do not crank the bolts down in an attempt to close the gap up. Simply tighten the lock nut against the bracket lightly and call it a day.

10. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Junior Member

Ok thanks! That makes sense, thank you for clarifying.

If I wasn't dealing with the standard blade/superduty A frame issue I wouldn't be as nervous. I just don't want to do anything that will damage the plow :)

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

The only thing that is different between the 2 plows is the mold boards. The A-frames are the same between the 2 plows, even the 8's thru 9 foots use the same A-frames as your plow. The 10 footers are different.

12. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Junior Member

Cool. The only difference I could find was the superduty a frame came with 4 trip springs and the shock absorber.

Do you guys normally put never cease on all the bolt threads when assembling to keep the rust at bay?

13. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Yeah I forgot about the 4 trip springs

As far as the never cease thats totally up to you. it will take a long time for the bolts to rust thru.

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Thats NOT the purpose of never cease. never cease prevents the nut from rusting to the bolt.

15. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Junior Member

Going to use it on the bolt threads. If I have to dismantle the plow in the future I don't want to fight with those big bolts trying to get them off.

16. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I knew it had to do with rust, Just miss worded what I wanted to say, thanks though.

17. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

At that point in time, a lot of guys will just get a torch or cutt off wheel and replace them with new ones.

18. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Yes, you want to, and on the mount as well if have not installed that yet. Hell, just put it on everything.

19. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Junior Member

Still waiting on delivery of the mount but I'll use it there as well.

Do you normally grease the pins that secure the tower to the A frame? Would make sense to me since it's a pivot point. Some grease on the non-threaded part of the bolts shown above probably wouldn't hurt either.

20. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Junior Member

Discovered another difference while working on the install tonight. The super-duty blade is 29" high while the standard duty blade is 27.5" high. This means that the eye bolts for the trip springs are different lengths. I found a bag of eye bolts tied to the blade so that worked so they must have known they were giving me a mis-matched set.

Everything else is going together smoothly so far. The manual says to use thread compound on the hydraulic hoses. Do you use a specific type for hydraulic hoses or is the normal plumbers tape fine?