1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First plowng job

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by skinut2234, Dec 6, 2005.

1. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

Was out early Sat morning helping a friend who needed guys to plow-
    I show up on the job and explained I was fairly new at this- He just said- Do your best and the other 2 guys will help you out..... I did the best I could and tried to catch on to where they were pushing the snow- They seemed to have some type of system down and they were obvioulsy experienced. I want to continue to do this but no one really wants to show me the ropes (more of a question as no one has time)- I did the best I could and no one complained but I am wondering if there are any learning tools or videos I can watch to pick up tips.....

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I dont know of any videos or really good printed info.

Plowing is one of those things that if you have the basic idea down, the rest will just drop into your lap one night.. started a new guy this year, first 2 nights he wasnt getting half way through his route, and was calling about every 15 minutes wanting to know how to do this and that, we kept trying to have other drivers help him with his route and give him tips. His 3rd night out everything made sense all of a sudden.

If they dont have time to tell you how to plow a lot, watch them for a few minutes, take note of how they deal with tight areas, light poles, corners. Dont be intimidated by the 2 guys with the system, they have probably been working together for years. Shoot, my brother and i could plow a lot the size of a shoe box with 2 trucks and never run into each other and never say a word to each other.

Just remember to work at a pace your comfortable with, its your truck, you break it, you fix it or pay to fix it, and when you least expect it there will be a sheet of ice under what your plowing and you might not stop it before you hit it.

3. reformedlandscaper

reformedlandscaper Junior Member
    from 02048

Just relax and use your common sense. There is really no "science" to plowing snow.

Look at your lot , road or driveway before you drop your blade. Determine where you want the snow to end up and how to most efficiently get it there!

No worries, you will catch right on. Just don't allow yourself to be pressured into going faster than you are comfortable.

Good Luck and drive safely!

John

4. reformedlandscaper

reformedlandscaper Junior Member
    from 02048

Crash and I think alike!

5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

You'll catch on pretty fast. This is my first year and im already pretty confident and know pretty much what im doing. Just takes time and practice.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Don't worry about it. Many "experts" are lot of bluff. The one with the biggest bluff gets the most money.

7. Snow-B-Gone

Snow-B-Gone Junior Member
    from Maine

One thing I do every year......is to drop by all my customers BEFORE:nod: the snow flies. They may have installed a new obstacle that if covered by 6" of snow could potentially cost you $$$$$:eek: in repairs.

Its also a good time to make face to face contact with the customer and see if they were happy:) or not so happy:angry: with your plowing last year!

8. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

JST CHILL OUT..DONT PLOW ANY HANDICAP SPOTS (I DID THAT LAST YEAR LOL) AND BE COOL MAN...THE ONE PEICE OF ADVICE I GOT FROM SOMEONE WAS IF UR GOING FORWARD AND UR PLOWS NOT DOWN UR WASTIN TIME THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD...DO I AGREE 100% NO MAYBE 85% BUT THERE ARE TIMES YA KNOW...

GOOD LUCK..YOU'LL DO JST FINE:cool: