1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First plowable snow today

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Moose's Mowing, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

Well, today we got about 4". Of course, I got some last minute calls from people that had 3 months to sign up, but a contract is a contract. I figure as long as it's signed and the check is in hand prior to plowing, I'll take it. Doing pretty well so far with customers.

I only tore up a few things today. All my accounts are real tight driveways. The heavy Chevy barely fits in some. My fav mowing cutomer is easily my least fav driveway. It's a short straight shot on one side with a semi-circle on the other. There's a telephone pole right on the edge of the one side with a guide wire running arcross the pavement. The truck and my new backrack barely clears it. While backing up, I just caught my drivers side mirror on the pole. Didn't break it, but gave me a wake up call to pay better attention.

Then, the Meyers started acting funny. Thought it was just low on fluid so I filled it up only to find a bad coupling on the hose. Luckily, the plow store was open for 20 minutes yet and I was literally around the corner. So I got that fixed up.

As I'm sitting here, one customer texts me complaining I hit one of his landscape lights. He put these in his yard in the stupidest place. Makes mowing a total PITA and I guess I caught one with a tire or the plow or the snow pile. Either way, my contract is very clear that I won't accept responsibilty for damage to grass, landscaping, and a host of other things. That's one of the reasons I will only plow after a customer signs off. I'll end up replacing the light anyway, it was my fault after all, but this is the same customer that I've given TONS of freebies to, and did some favors for as well. I used to work with this guy in college. Not "friends" per se, He's either getting a rate hike in the spring for mowing or I'll drop him. It's not like I tore up that stupid light on purpose, but some people just don't think when they install things like that. (And no, the light wasn't even lit when I was plowing, didn't even know I hot it until he texted me) His property is a pile of crap too, and he's so cheap. He's a big shot stock broker I think. I could have that place looking awesome but he isn't interested in trying to improve his property, and that's fine I guess.

Rant over

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I find it funny that the people who complain the most are usually the ones with the most money to burn....

Oh, well.

3. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

AHHH, I drank 2 beers and got the wood stove going. I'm calm now. All is good. I guess if that's the worst thing that happened today, I'm in good shape :)

Actually it's not. I think I have shingles. It's caused by the chickenpox virus. I Googled it and it says that stress can cause the virus to "awaken", apparently I'm too stressed. Better have more beer....lol. At least it's not ghonoherpasyphylis. This thread went to h$ll in a handbag quick didn't it.

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

You're holding the bag sir........ :waving: