1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First plow: suggestions?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Abouna, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Abouna

Abouna Member
    from Iowa

We have a small church parking lot. We just picked up a 2004 Jeep for plowing just our lot, so duty will be fairly light. Lot is approx. 100 x 80.

I'm heading out next week to shop for plows but I'd like some direction on where to start.

- size
    - material
    - controls
    - down pressure (know nothing about this)

I know nothing about plows obviously. I do know what I want if possible:

- good quality obviously
    - great controls, I don't want to futz around
    - easy on and off (is there such a thing?)

Just don't know where to start. Thanks for your help!

2. mud

mud Senior Member

Which model of jeep are we talking about here first? That will play a large part in what plows you can put on it if any.

3. Abouna

Abouna Member
    from Iowa

2004 Wrangler

4. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

Sno-Way makes plows for the Wrangler that are light, you can check here: http://plowapps.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/choosingplow. Also you can check around on craigslist for used ones if you don't want new. Probably depends on what dealers you have close to you. The other brands make lighter duty plows as well.
    Sno-Way has down pressure, (they explain it on their site) and Wireless remote.

5. mud

mud Senior Member

If you have a local dealer available I would look hard at the sno way plows. The down pressure would be highly advantageous for back dragging with the lighter weight plows you would be limited to. That being said most of the manufactures should have something that will work well on your unit and it really is going to come down to dealer support on which one you should choose.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know if a dealer would put one on but, a 7.5' Fisher HT would be a great plow for a Jeep. I don't see why they wouldn't put a HT (414lb) on a Wrangler since they will put a 6'9" SD (472lb) on a Wrangler.

7. Abouna

Abouna Member
    from Iowa

Well I guess it would have been prudent to ask if I can just run this pure stock? I'm even wondering if I need snow tires. The lot is completely level and I'll be plowing it several times per snow to keep the lot very clean so unless I'm lazy I don;t plan on pushing too much snow.

Anything else?

8. Abouna

Abouna Member
    from Iowa

Maybe I should have posted this in the Jeep area I hadn't noticed before?

9. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

The jeep guys can give you some more direction on what you many need to do to your jeep to help it hold up better. as for the plow keep it as small as you can. If you can keep a plow under 400lbs you should be alright. Jeeps make great plow rigs for small areas. There are a few guys making alot of money just doing driveways with a jeep. I have always wanted to build one I just have never done it. Best of luck to you!