1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Plow Set Up Lots of ?'s Please Help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by firemonkey88, Jan 26, 2005.

1. firemonkey88

firemonkey88 Junior Member

I have been plowing for a while now but I never used my own truck. All the plows I have ever plowed with were Myers. I moved away and now I have an opportunity to get my own plow and plow with some one. So I have a lot of questions that hopefully I can get my rig up and running by the end of the month. For atleast some work this winter. So here is the deal.

I got a 1990 GMC K-1500 4x4 Extended Cab, with the 350 700R4 I just rebuilt the tranny on it with the intention of using it to plow. The guy I am going to work with has a 2002 Model Unimount 7.5 Pro Plow set up. He says all I need is the wiring and the frame mount. I have never use western plows or installed a plow so I am not sure what all exactly I need. I am a college kid and am trying to go low cost and get stuff used from ebay or other places. What all exactly do I need (part numbers if possible)

Also is this plow a good choice for this truck? I am used to plowing with a 4x4 Ranger ext cab. Do I need ballast or heavy-duty springs at all? Basically I am in the dark and trying to find all the info an parts I need to put this thing together asap so I can start making money.

Any help with info is much apprecitated and if you have the parts I need for sale or know where to get them cheap let me know. Thanks