1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first plow purchase

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Pappi, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Pappi

Pappi Junior Member

Hello to all you snow removal enthusiasts:

Being new to this forum I must admit I didn't search all of the threads for answers to these questions I am just a lazy old fart here :)

The business I am helping set up for snow removel has 3 parking lots and about one mile of roadways to plow.

The truck that we just purchased is a 2008 GMC 2500hd with a snow prep package

So the truck is set now the big question is what plow to buy I consider myself a rookie in this area.

1. 7.6 straight blade or 8.2 V blade and Why ?

2. Plows that are available in my area... Boss, Western, and Meyer all these prices are installed

Boss 7.6 $5,000... Western 7.6 Pro-Plow..$5,130... Meyer 7.5 $5,290
    Boss V 8.2 $6,200... Westren 8.6 V Plow...$6,100... Meyer 8>5 V plow $ 6,595

All the plows are very close in price so price is not the issue except between V and straight. The Meyer has a 5 year limited warranty while the others have a 2 year limited warranty....The Meyer store has a 24 hour guarantee on repairs if purchased through them...

Warranties and repair time are not at the top of my buying a plow list. I just want the best bang for my buck...What plow should I get ?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

boss 8.2 v blade. if it were me
  3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

One way to see it is, for the price difference being so little, A V lets you do the same as a Straight, and more. And unless your in a tight small lot with cars everywhere, 6 inches in blade size at straight or angled is not and issue. Personally I would go with the V. But I'm a fisher guy so between the three brands, i'll let others with experience on them answer that.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss v plow with the hand held controller. Or maybe bump up to the 9.2 Boss v plow,
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What size are the three lots? What amount of snow quantity do you get?
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I like Western myself. Though, all the brands you have listed are good.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The plow brand is not nearly as important as delaer service. I would go with the Boss V tho.
  8. Pappi

Pappi Junior Member

Thanks for the info all

The lot size is pretty small around 200 cars max. it takes around 2.5 hours depending on how much snow we get.

I did find a Fisher dealer in town should I get a quote ?

9. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

go with the boss 8.2 v
    i really like mine cause you can stack high with it, plus a boss plow isn't attached with a chain so you can have some amt of down pressure when snow gets packed down tight
  10. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I would get a quote on Fisher, but thats cause as I said before I'm a fisher guy

This is off topic from this post I just happened to see this started with saying a snow removel business, but does it bother anyone when people refer to What is actually snow plowing as snow removel?

I've always wondered when I see ads and other things people say snow removel, when actually they are not removing the snow from the site, they are pushing it, or plowing it set areas of the site. And yes I know some people say snow removel and mean it, and some people like us do both. Just one of those things that for no good reason bugs me at times to hear