1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First plow & pricing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dynogt16, Oct 13, 2013.

1. dynogt16

dynogt16 Junior Member

Well mowing season is calming down. Good year alittle more in debt but alittle more business. Made our goal bought our first snow plow (snowdogg), salt spreader, and light bar $6200. Hopefully that was a good decision for us here in southern Indiana. I'll post pictures soon. Hope everyone did well.

Pricing- 125 per man hour normally a crew of 2= $250 per man hour 1 truck 1 laborer. What is your opinion this is on commercial?
  2. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Twice the cost just for a guy to ride shotgun and shovel a little? I may be wrong but that doesn't seem right to me.
  3. dynogt16

dynogt16 Junior Member

He will be using a four wheeler on side walks, shoveling side walks, and loading salt. Which I see a lot of risk in all of that. fuel, insurance, and material. salts 10.95 a 40lbs bag we plan to charge 13.45 per bag spread. maybe our prices are off?
  4. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

No, try and explain why you think the second guy adds value worth a buck and a quarter can they do tricks or something? Much to much.
  5. dynogt16

dynogt16 Junior Member

This is new to us. I was thinking more like 60 per labor hour 125per truck/ labor hour that's $185 an 2 man crew per hour?
  6. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

What is the second person doing holding your drink? Even on properties where your do the walks I can't see it but that being said each area has a different pricing tolerance. I know in Toronto they get crazy pricing for snow service but that is what that market will bear here in the north people would laugh at you if you suggested same price. Check out different completion for their pricing and find out minimum wage for your area as a starting point then multiply by 4 or 5 should put you in a ball park.
  7. dynogt16

dynogt16 Junior Member

While one is plowing the other is doing what two man crews would do. Sidewalks, around cars, salt spreading, and other job details.
  8. dynogt16

dynogt16 Junior Member

How do you clear commercial accounts? Do you go it alone and put your truck on auto pilot while you do side walks or do you have a 2 man crew. 2 men half time of 1.
  9. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

your salt should pay 20 to 40 cents a pound for bagrock salt. and you are paying way to much for it. we get 50 lb bags for less than 4 bucks and charge anywhere for 10 to 20 per bag. truck driver and helper 150 hour. I wont work by hour. I charge buy job and im not halling around no side walk machine.. shovel for my helper and push spreader all he needs . at the big box stores we take and drop off 660 with 52 inck blade walk behind spreader before storm leave till done ..my lots are all within 5 miles circle. we been doing most for over 20 years now . no home owners no gas stations .strip malls, dr dentist offices,banks box stores churches government building ,few resterants.all good accounts . I inch trigger, plow salt. less than inch salt what every you do don't sell yourself short. buy skids of salt get better price or get bulk salt if I charge 200 to plow I will charge 100 to salt if I just salt I will charge 200 to salt give or take depending on storms some take more some less but either way im making money and it all evens out in the end.. we buy semi loads of salt the more you buy the cheaper it is .. have to spend to make..
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Most people have a sidewalk crew that has there own truck. They do the walks and move to next job. Once they get there walks done they are off the clock till they are ready to clean again.

I don't haul my sidewalk guy around.
    Small job if walk needs to be done, I'll shovel it. So my sidewalk crew doesn't have to stop. Nice to get out of the truck.
  11. dynogt16

dynogt16 Junior Member

Thanks for the info... Its helped alot. We are getting close. But they want to know what it cost if we have to replow it 2 times or more in 24 hrs. Way I look at it is I leave when I return full price. There is a guy that undercut everyone mowing the past 2yrs his grandma bought him a plow and is turning 70an hour bids in all over town.
  12. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

practice in your area.

what is the local practice? Up here people usually live with it until it stops then clean up. Look in the other forums i think i saw a pricing matrix that may help.
    I would think the diesel didn't get cheaper the second time around so if you want me back you pay, but i caution you your area may be different. good luck.
  13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Some plow by the inches of the storm and some plow per visit
  14. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Same price each time you plow. Unless you can pay you employees half what they normally get paid, and get fuel half price. You see what I mean. But I can't see someone paying $250/hr. Good luck if you can get it.
  15. dynogt16

dynogt16 Junior Member

I think we are more along the lines of 100-125 an hr. But this guy is trying it all at 70 an hr.
  16. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Low ballers.

When I bought my first skid steer one of the fellas who has been doing snow for about twenty years told me every year he see someone figure they are going to be the next big thing in snow. I get nervous this time of year when I hear so and so will do it for x , wish them luck and send them on the way. If you start out cheap you will struggle to raise your prices in the years to come. Deliver good service and people will pick you.
  17. dynogt16

dynogt16 Junior Member

Thanks, We have our cost 100-125 per hour. we got our plow and all back today. Ill have pics this weekend. This guy don't phase me he already lost one to us because they saw what he would use. Problem is I cant find salt for less than 10bucks a bag. But its salt we know works.
  18. tpendagast

tpendagast Member

your shovel/4 wheeler crew should have their own truck.
    you can use one of your mow trucks for this, as they don't need a plow.

a light mow trailer and the 4 wheeler/snow blower.
    a back pack blower for the powdery sidewalks if you get a stark cold snow, shovels (always more than one per shoveler)
    a bucket and some chilly grips (for spreading ice melt)
    and a spreader for spreading ice melt in larger areas.

Figure out your route separately for your plow truck (single operator) and your shovel team (single or double)

Plow truck should be around $75-$85 per hour for just a pick up.
    Figure your cost for sand/salt (i.e. $90 per yard) and charge by the amount of material
    same for bags...how much are you going to charge for ice melt applied (.50/lb with a 40 lb minimum?)
    laborers with a shovel...I dunno $45-$50 per hour (all depends on overhead recovery)
    and $65 for the 4 wheeler per hour with the plow?

So lets say you are doing a sportsman's warehouse.
    You figure it will take you 2.5 hours with the plow ($80 @ 2.5 or $200 for up to 4" inches)
    the 4 wheeler to hit the walk ways in 45 minutes (or $50)
    and a bag and a half of salt (75 lbs, $37.50)
    possibly 2 yard of sand/salt ($180)
    so the total "typical minimum event" costs $467.50

The same pricing structure on a gas station might be.
    Truck 45 minutes ($60)
    Hand shoveling 1 hour ($50)
    and 4 bags of ice melt ($100)
    or $210 for the same 4" - event.