1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First plow of the season with the snowbear + lite mod

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by PhantomRacer, Dec 9, 2005.

1. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

Finally got to use the snowbear for the first time this season..after the false start last week...snow was soooooooooo heavy..having only the all-season tires on did not help the matter..but got through it just fine...Putting the snow tires on next week..that will make a huge difference..

Here are some pictures of the requested lite mode I did to my snowbear. I got the light head off ebay pretty cheap..wired them into the factory lights (through a relay) so I do not have an extra switch. Pretty nice..and I can use both the truck and the plow lights if I need to. I used a trailer connector for a quick connect for all the lights. Works very well (other than the light is not perfectly level. Have to deal with that later..but for now they work fine)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

good looking setup, but the left light looks a little goofy...did you bend the pillar holding the light?

3. PhantomRacer

from boston

was like that when I got it..when it had round lights you barely noticed it...but like I said..it does work..but I will put a shim or something under it to make it level

Paul

4. If it ain't broke don't fix it!:p

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i hear that :drinkup:
    most times you only make it worse..haha

6. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Need some info from pahantomracer

If you see this phantomracer (I can't PM you) (can't spell too good either)...

Can you give me a little info on exactly which relays you got for the plow lights. I have a similar situation, snowbear plow, but rigging meyers lights, and want to do it the same way - with the trailer connector.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  7. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Need some info from PhantomRacer

If you see this PhantomRacer (I can't PM you)...

Can you give me a little info on exactly which relays you got for the plow lights. I have a similar situation, snowbear plow, but rigging meyers lights, and want to do it the same way - with the trailer connector.

8. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Phantom,
    I really think you should consider "Lazy Eye" as a new handle.:nod:

Glad you finally got a go round to use the plow.

9. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

I'd like to know more, too. just bought a SB, and would like more info about rigging up lights.

I sent him a pm a while ago with other questions, and he hasn't answered me. according to his profile, he hasn't logged in since jan 3. No other contact info listed, so unless a moderator wants to send him an e-mail...who knows? maybe he hasn't even turned on his computer.

10. PhantomRacer

from boston

I have a relay hooked up from the parking lite, which triggers the low beams...(this will operate JUST the plow low beams)...You can then turn the low beams on for the truck..then you have the plow lites and the truck lights...then I have the high beams triggering the high beams..

The turn signals are just tapped into the turn signals without a relay

The relay is a regular 12volt automotive relay. I can make up a wiring diagram for you if you want.

Paul
    Phantom 'lazyeye' Racer:drinkup:

11. PhantomRacer

from boston

12. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Snowbear light - Great reply! Thanks!

That's great info, now I have the exact idea for the lights. Low beams the majority of the time, with the Jeep's parking lights on. I can envision that rig needing a 5th wire - 1=low 2=high 3=left turn 4=right turn 5=gnd (no need to be glowin the yellows constantly)- easy enough with a round 7 wire trailer adapter. Now to locate an auto store that has the generic relays.

A note to 00 Ram - not sure how your SB switch looks, but the one they sent me is pretty big and ugly. A friend is helping me design a circuit with a 3 way (momentary - center off) toggle that will trigger another relay (DBDT) and do the raising and lowering. SB wants around 250.00 for the wireless remote setup, and is not supplying any more till next season. If you're interested I can send you details when we get that relay and get it all working.

So - soon will have working lights, and no more switch hanging on the window.

13. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

absolutely. I'm open to any info you have.

just what the heck is in that box, anyway? must be more than just a switch. I only took a brief look at the parts the other night when I brought it all home. (mainly just wanted to get the mount certificate and manual out of the box...the rest is at my dad's house). But I did see the big ugly switch box. wasn't obvious to me how its supposed to mount on the window....

14. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

It's just a whompin big old 3 way heavy duty switch that reverses polarity! It's designed to hang on driver's window and you run the big old black flat wire under the back of your hood. I can do OK with it, but want a more 'user friendly' setup (and I don't like the fact that the window is open a hair at left ear level).

Got my nice 3 way SPDT mometary with center off toggle today at my favorite local auto electric business. Once all stuff is gathered, will pass along where and what to get.

On assembly - I assembled the entire plow with a few hand tools in about two hours. Just follow one page at a time. I have no mount, mine plugs into a 2" front rcvr hitch. Maybe you can can shave some time if you have a good 3/8 air ratchet as all the nuts are locking type.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  15. PhantomRacer

from boston

The plow is grounded already..so you do not need a ground wire... THe light is grounded at the mounting bolt (no ground wire from the light actually)

Or you can just get a flat-5 connector instead of the flat-4 if you want a ground

Most new trailers are coming with a flat5 now as they now have a reverse electric lockout for the brakes (like our trailer)

16. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

I hear ya

Thanks for that grounding info. After too many bad experiences trying to trust trailers grounded via the hitch, I've found it's better to run the ground right to the place it's needed.

Will look around for that flat 5 connector, but a round 6 will do it too. Already got a couple of 40amp Cole Hersee relays, so by the time my SB mounts get here, the wiring should be good to go. Will post some pics when completed.

Now to get busy with that plow switch project.

17. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is that this relay does.

does it couple the plow lights to the vehicle's headlights? or does it redirect power to the plow lights when they're plugged in, while de-activating the vehicle's lights? and if thats the case, do you need a seperate one for each circuit...high beam, low beam, directionals?

18. PhantomRacer

from boston

It is a remote switch. Instead of high amperage current from the battery...through the switch..then to the lights (or accessory) you can use a low amp wiring and switches to activate another switch (the relay) to activate it.

from the website I listed above http://www.the12volt.com

Paul

19. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

I saw that on the site. I get that part: switch activates relay>>relay activates device. but how does this tie the vehicle light circuits to the auxilliary plow lights?

20. PhantomRacer

from boston

OK it is super simple... Look at the picture previously posted in this thread while you read below:

On the relay..connect as follows

One wire (good size; fused please) from relay directly to the battery Or heavy 12 volt wire (I, naturally, chose the battery)

One wire to a good ground

One wire to the new Plow Light (Low beam, for example) Mine went to the wire harness (trailer connector)

One wire (fused) tapped to a wire to activate the relay. I chose a parking light (on the truck) to activate the low beam. I removed the light assembly. found the wire that was hot when the parking lite. Not surprisingly...it was the bulb that was lit!! :) :)

So now when the parking lite is on (on the truck)... that activates the relay...sending power from the battery to the plow lights..the heavy current never gets into the parking lite circuit (kinda the point of the relay)

Make any sense? Heavy current going from the battery directly to the plow light...never passing into any switch on the dash or any thin wiring or long path. The parking light (in my example) is just a trigger....it doesn't power anything...:drinkup:

Oh yea...forgot..I actually connected the lowbeam and parking lights to be on all the time on the plow light (I already had the 4 wire connector and didnt want to go out and get a 5 wire)

Paul

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006