1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first plow.. need alot of advice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by markusc7, Nov 23, 2011.

1. markusc7

markusc7 Junior Member
    from indiana

Hey guys i just joined this site because i need some advice. I just bought a used plow today. its a 9' western conventional plow. the mount that came with it is the unimout (i think) for a ford that fits up to 91' . i have a 94' f250 7.3 diesel.
    my question is probably assumed but i want to know how hard it would be to either modify this mount to fit my truck or to look for another.
    this next question is going to really show my lack of knowledge with snow plows but ive seen pictures of the mounts that fit the 94' (ultra mount i think they are called) and it looks as if its just the truck side mount and the part with the pump and lights arent on it. the lights and pump part is on the plow itself. so if i but a truck side mount to fit the 94 will i have to modify the plow side and put the lights and pump mount on it. as you can prolly tell im very lost.
    as lost as i am with this plow set up i am pretty decent at metal fab so i belieive i could make the modifications myself to use the existing. im just wondering if its the best route?

thanks for any help in advance.
    and in your responses please use terms that a 5 yr old would understand because i dont know as much about this stuff as you guys and you could easily loose me just with terminology.
    thanks again!

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Post pictures of what you have. Truck, plow and mount.

3. markusc7

markusc7 Junior Member
    from indiana

im not sure it it added but this is a picture of the mount and plow. my truck is a 94' f250 7.3 powerstroke 4x4

Attached Files:

• plow.bmp
      File size:
      900.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's not a Unimount. That's just the old school conventional.

Take the bumper off your truck and see if the mount will fit. Those go BEHIND the bumper and the bumper bolts back onto the mount. Western made mounts like that for 1990's Fords.

5. markusc7

markusc7 Junior Member
    from indiana

i pulled the bumper off earlier to try that and it wouldnt mount up. i figure i can make some modifications to the frame of the truck to bolt the mount on to the front but dont see how i could fit the bumper back on. and also if i did that the angle iron that runs under the truck on the back of the mount will be pushing up on the leaf springs. not sure how to get around the springs.
    thanks for your help so far.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I guess there is a chance that mount is not for a Ford or the 1991 to 1994 frame changed that much.

A good fabricator could probably make it work. That plow looks like it's in great shape.