1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first plow need advice please

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jking03, Jan 16, 2010.

1. jking03

jking03 Junior Member
    from ohio

i need some help with attaching and detaching my plow when im not useing it...

i have a 1988 jeep grand wagoneer with a meyers 7.5 power angle plow installed in 1988 when the jeep was new
    i bought this thing last year at the end of the season

any way i cant seem to get the plow back on the truck myself it has the under the front end pins i had to get help from my dad who cant lay on the ground so i had him inside the jeep moving it back and forward and had my brother and my self trying to line this thing up and get the pins in..... is there an easy way to do this alone should i drop it on blocks???
  2. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

if it is a chain lift u can just hook the chain to the pump and lift it up into place the plow is easier to move with the a frame lifted up. other then that it just takes practice and the blocks can help u line up the plow to the pins.
  3. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Anytime mine comes off I park it in the same place and put blocks under it. As mentioned you can also use the chain to take the weight off the blocks for minor adjustments. It also takes some practice but you'll get it. Good luck this season.
  4. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I've used a cheap 1 1/2 or 2 ton floor jack,that way you can adjust it to the pins. You can leave jack under your plow if you think no one will steal it. plowking
  5. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

drop it on blocks, and a couple boards under the shoes, or cutting edge. this will let ya slide it a little bit to help line the pins up.... just takes some pratice. somedays they fall right in place, other days, nothing makes them wanna go it
  6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plow Site jking03

I put mine on a pallet with wheels on it and put 1 ton jacks on each side of the A-Frame. I jack it up to get the pins out of each side. I also spray the jacks with Fluid Film so they don't rust. The hard part is to get the truck lined up to get the pins in the holes. I have 2 pieces of tape on the top of the plow that so if the left plow light fits between them it goes right on. Of course that doesn't always work but it's better than nothing. Sometimes I have to get out of the truck a few times to see which way I have to move the truck. I can't move the plow because the jacks would tip over. Next time I will try the lift chain. Good Luck.
  7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Just think of wrestling your plow on as a free gym membership! LOL The only plows I have ever owned were the good old pin style. I lift it with the chain get one pin in then just swing / heave it to get the other one in. My truck always had the plow on all Winter. The Jeep has a 6.5 and it is a LOT easy to man handle, but that doesn't get taken off much either.
  8. jking03

jking03 Junior Member
    from ohio

thank you

good deal i never thought of useing the chain lift to raise it.. ill try everything you guys mentioned... for now it is attached and i dont plan on taking it off unless i absolutley need to.. ill just carry the blade around..

im not sure that im going to keep this plow i bought the jeep grand wagoneer for the vehicle not for the plow but it came as a package deal.. i used it this past snow storm and did my drive way with it but i drive truck and im not home that much so i feel that it wont really get used.... is there a place here for classifieds if i chose to sell it??

its in great shape works good it has been on the jeep for 21 years but it honestly looks and works like brand new original owner plow his church lot and nothing else still has original edge thats %100 no rust on blade at all and even has the owners manual from 1988 in the glove box for the plow...

well duty calls its time for me to get trucking ill be back next weekend so if you guys reply i wont see it till saturday
    thanks for the advice