1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Plow in Maine

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MJM Landscaping, Nov 24, 2005.

1. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Just got home from doing my commercial accounts. First year with the new truck. Plows great, the X blade scraped so much better than the regular fishers. Plowed mostly in 2 wd and the sander worked great.

Let in SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Dupesy

Dupesy Member

We didn't really get enough snow down here to plow, but I still went out and played a little! Glad you like your X-Blade. They rock!

3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Used my new X-blade today for the first time. Scraped a little better but not as much as I exspected at first. I think the edge was cutting better and better towards the end of my route.

Gettung used to my fishstick was tricky at first it keep pulling in my hand. I found putting the cord under my lap belt did the trick. After an hour I started to like it.

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Where in Maine are you, I'm in Portland and we didn't even get an inch.:(

5. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

Im located in Gorham, I have a couple banks, a condo place and a gas station, so they like them scraped down to pavement. We got prolly 2 inches then froze a little. Definetly needed to be cleaned up.

6. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Lucky, Hopefully we'll get tons more. Good luck over the winter, I had the Mr. Bagel and tanning plaza in Gorham last year right next to Hannaford.

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to Hi Jack your thread here but do you guys in Maine get paid one price period for each storm ?
    As in it snows 3" on a commercial lot lets say $75
    and if it snows 12" same lot same $75 ?
    I was told by a fellow on another site i am a ripping people off because I charge by the amount of snow that fell as in 1-3, 3-6 etc.
    Thanks
    Todd

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, Todd, you already know my answer but I'll reinterate.

No.

And today at the local convenience store, I talked to another long time plow guy in my area who IS a native Mainer. Neither does he.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I know Mick :)
    Was very interested though to hopefully hear some feed back from other folks in that wonderfull state of yours. Was just thinking maybe it is just Jims town and he needs to start hangin out in new coffee shops in Portland or something LOL.
    Todd

10. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

a little off topic, but where is Ole Jim??

I haven't seen a post from him...hope he's OK!

11. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Same as Mick here, more snow equals more work and equals more money.payup payup

12. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Yaz,

I take the stick, and jam it inbetween the seats (drivers and center) so its right handy when I want to use it , and don't have to put it down to shift to D or R. Ony thing that drives me nuts with sticks it's its the opposite of my tractor bucket controls. Just getused to running one, and switch over, and suddenly you're doing everything backwards!

13. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

My commercial accounts it is a set price for the year. Based on 13 storms. Sand/ salt is extra per application. snow removal is extra.
    Residential drives I do 2"-8" is one price and then 8"+ is 30% more. Example a $35 drive turns into $45 driveway. $40--$58 and so on.

14. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

MJM That must be Mike! What is up? How is the GMC treating you? X-blade huh? I got the EZ-V and was able to get some action in Westbrook with it on Turkey day. You sticking to Gorham? I am staying in the Portland Westbrrok area. What are you using for a sander?
    If you need anything or get stuck or need help with removal give me a shout.

Dylan

How did summer go for you any installs?

15. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

Ya its me NEUSWEDE love the x blade, Problems with the snoway sander, Bought another truck a 04 f150 going for a 7'6 boss on monday. Summer was good. Couple decent size retaining walls, planting installs, and alot of maintenence. Just picked up a condo place in Gorham. Got a 1 contract that starts nov. for year round main. Hows it going with you?

16. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

What happened with the sno-way? I just picked up a sno-way tailgater in NH yesterday it is perfect since I don't have much sanding.
    Good to hear about the condos. Another truck huh business must be good!
    hopefully it will be a good winter

17. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I was able to put my blade back together - new trip edge, tension bolts and cutting edge - just in the nick of time for 5" of snow on Thanksgiving. Was half-way through my route when my alternator took a nose dive. I had to rev the engine after every plow adjutment and idle the truck a few minutes between accounts to get it done! Had a new alt. put in today, new snow tires tomorrow. Its gonna be a long winter...

18. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

You need to go invest in a brand new truck!

19. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Sure, cause a huge payment every month is way better than visiting with my mechanic...

20. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Depends on how many times you visit him!!!