1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First plow for my 10 year old Gmc

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by alden, Jan 15, 2012.

1. alden

alden Junior Member

New to this forum. I'm not a plow contractor, but just bought a house with over 300ft of gravel driveway, and a four car garage with substantial parking area outside of it. We just got our first heavy snowfall for this season and it's obvious I'm gonna need a plow for the future (contracting a neighbor now, but that's no fun). After reading some other threads, and talking to people in the know, I''ll be pricing out a western or fisher set up. My question is do I need to build up the front end of my '01' Sierra 1500 z71, and what kind of budget should I plan on? Also if anyone has any better ideas let them fly. Pictures of your similar set ups are more than welcomeThumbs Up

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What make of snow plow dealers do you have in your area?

3. alden

alden Junior Member

I'm pretty sure most anything can be found in my area. I know Western and Fisher, are big around here, as well as meyers, curtis, snow way, etc. Also there are plenty of used plows on craigs list.

4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

agreed with rick, also depends what plow. mid weight, hts ect.....

5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Everyone here seems to have their favorite manufacture. Most all are pretty good for what you want to use it for. I would just suggest you stay away from the home owner by most manufactures and step up to one of the light commercial plows. Your next decision will be whether you want a chain or cylinder type lift. Both have their advantages. If you are looking for good back dragging ability I suggest Snoway with down pressure. If you are looking for stacking height the chain lift will give you that ability. Check as many out as you can before you make a decision and pick the one that you think will work the best for your application. Also I would not make my decision based on just price alone. It will probably be something you have for a long time and a few hundred bucks over 5 or 10 years will not mean much.

6. alden

alden Junior Member

Okay, so I'll be using it over mildly rough terrain on my own property, the same at the in-laws, other than that it's all paved driveways. should I go with a heavier set up or can I get away with something lighter? I have zero knowledge in this area so educate me, please.

7. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Snoway 26
    Fisher SD to HT
    Meyers Drive Pro
    Boss Standard Duty in Poly or Steel
    Western HST

If you plowing gravel driveways that are uneven I would personally look at the Fisher SD or HT series because it has a trip edge design while the others are full trip design. The Fisher SD is a little heaver than the rest and if that will be an issue go with the HT.

I have a 1999 Ford F150 4X4 with a short beed and I wanted the lightest light commercial plow I could find so I choose a Snoway 26. That was 5 years ago, or so, I think some other manufactures have taken weight out of their plows for use on the newer and lighter 1/2 ton vehicles most truck manufactures are now making.

That is my 2 cents. For what ever it is worth.
    It really up to you and what fits your needs.

8. alden

alden Junior Member

Thanks for the info. There is a Meyers for sale by owner for $900 near me (complete set up). I was told Meyers aren't the best, that they break more frequently than others. Anyone know about this?

9. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

You get what you pay for! if You go with a personal plow they are light weight no hydraulics to deal with or lights ! You can get them new for just over $1000 they also are easy on easy off so it doesnt need to stay on your truck! if you ever plan on going bigger then look for something bigger ! get a fertalizer spreader and use it for salt this will help keep it clear! my $tymusic0.02

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have 7.5' Fisher SD on my 2002 Chevy 1500 and I'd say it's a perfect match. The SD is a rugged plow that is also fairly light weight. The Fisher HT is to light duty IMO.

[​IMG]

11. alden

alden Junior Member

5L55G15Ke3L53Jc3N3c17b7f30bf31572111b[1].jpg

5N25F95H13I53Le3Hec17afccdf8b4eb51271[1].jpg This western unimount 7.5' is for sale in my area. He's asking $650 for it, but doesn't have the truck side mounts or wiring. As you can see there is some surface rust as well. What do you all think?

5L55G15Ke3L53Jc3N3c17b7f30bf31572111b[1].jpg

5N25F95H13I53Le3Hec17afccdf8b4eb51271[1].jpg

12. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

$650 for the plow. No wiring harness, no truck mount and you don't know whether the hydraulics work. If you took it somewhere to have all that work done I would estimate you will have another $1,200 to $1,400 in it. Now you are over $2,000.

I would keep looking.

If you wait until this spring and summer you might be able to find a good deal on a used plow.

13. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I was in the same boat as you are. When I moved into my farm house, I was single and had 4x4 on my daily driver. I saw no need for my toy truck which had a plow, so I sold it. Enter my wife and her car, I realized I needed a plow again.

I was able to find a plow just like the one you posted, but with more rust on it. Mine came with the truck side mount n wiring for a different style truck, all for 900. I was able to sell the pieces off for the other truck and get what I needed with those sales.

Don't let the rust worry you, a quick sandblast and paint can fix that for years to come. If the rust is thru, that can be a little more to fix. However, the truck mount and wiring can get expensive. Will you be installing yourself or having it put on?

As far as your question goes, the 1500 will be just fine as is. Just turn your t-bars up a bit and put ballast in the bed.

14. alden

alden Junior Member

That much more for wiring and mounting hugh? I never would have guessed. I do intend on waiting till spring like you say. It's always best to buy in the off season no matter what your buying. Just gathering a little information right now. Everyone here has been very helpful, Thanks alot. Thumbs Up

15. alden

alden Junior Member

I'll be having it put on, but going to my Uncles shop to have it done. The job won't be free, but it also won't be as much as taking it else where.

16. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

I would really only consider a personal plow in your shoes no heavy hydrulics no wiring except a winch but it can stay on all year and then you have alittle peice of mind for other situations if all you have to do is yours and your parents driveways. theres like 4 bolts in already drilled holes to put on and like before under $1200 NEW with warrenty! I dont know much but thats a pretty simple setup:mechanic:

17. alden

alden Junior Member

I've been checking out personal plows too. Gonna stop by a dealer that's near my jobsite some time this week. What kind of life span does a set up like that have? Seems like those winches would get worn out fairly quickly. I would like to keep it for a few years as I don't see getting around not having one anymore.

18. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

If you get a good winch cover and keep it clean it should last longer then your truck and a guy I know has a personal and plows family drives and his wifes bowling alley lot maybe 1/2 acre not big but he has to keep it clean so 20 plow seasons. he has it on a 01-02 chev 1500 think the scraper edge has been replaced 1 time $80-$120 but the plow looks good still its a snow bear im pretty sure and he can almost pick it up and carry it into his garage like 2 mins its on and off!

19. alden

alden Junior Member

Stopped by a dealer selling Hiniker today. $4300 for a model that "I could put on your truck but will be a little on the heavy side". Then we talked about a Snow Dogg MD. I liked what the man had to say and at $3000 it's alittle more reasonable. Still I think I'll keep looking. What's the general opinion of Snow dogg around here, and does that price sound right?

20. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Look up Canadian tire then find snow bear personal plow 88' $ 1599 canadian you might get one for cheaper over therepayup