1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first plow fitment question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cmellen, Jan 31, 2015.

1. cmellen

cmellen Junior Member
    from SW CT

So I just recently got a 2008 chevy 1500 and iv been wanting to put a plow on it since b4 I even had a truck considering growing up I always dreamed of being out plowin,
    my buddy has a western plow and mount, and the mount is currently mounted on his 98 1500 and the plow side has been garage kept for a couple years and he said he would sell it to me for 250-300$ for both the plow and the truck side mount

Now my question is would I the 98 chevy mount bolt up to my 2008 chevy 1500? from what iv read it seems its the 99 and up trucks that will fit my truck but that the 98 is too early and wont line up, so I was wondering if itd be worth it to get the plow considering its a killer deal cuz its from a family friends..
    One more question is, if the mount wont fit cold I just buy the plow and find a mount that will be compatible with my 08 1500?

Sorry for the rambling but spring is coming faster then id like and id like to throw a plow on my truck without braking the bank,

-Thanks so much, cmellen
    (all options/opinions are well welcomed
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

More then likely you'll need all new truck side, even wiring maybe different.
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You'll need a different mount for your truck for sure. The wiring I'm almost positive is different as well but wiring is not my strong suit
  4. cmellen

cmellen Junior Member
    from SW CT

If I could get just the plow with no mounts for obviously cheaper, prob around 200, would it be worh it to grab that and then find the right mount and wiring so I can hook it up to my truck?
    And also anybody know roughly how much the mount would cost....along wit the wiriring.
    Im trying to see what the the total cost would be to the get the complete plow up and ready and business to put it to work
  5. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I would consider buying a complete plow set up like this one https://providence.craigslist.org/grd/4858957345.html

If you bought this plow you would need to buy Chevy side mount frame kit, which typically would run $350 new , and a set of headlamp adapter kit for Chevy's $100 or less so a set up like this would end up costing you less than $1500, turn key

The beauty of these Meyer plows are the center frame mount clevis is universal, fits "EVERYTHING" and the wiring harness is also universal except the headlamp adapters
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. cmellen

cmellen Junior Member
    from SW CT

Why would I need the headlight kit? the plow my buddy, the lights are attached to it... the plow is complete, I thought I would just need a truck side mount and the wiring?? or am I wrong on that....would it be that difficult to find a truck side mount for my 1500 that the plow would fit into?.....im still not sure exactly which plow he has but hes a good family friend and its been garage kept so im assuming its in good condition..

I just figured if I got the complete plow for like 250 and bought the only missing parts which would be the truck side side mount and wiring harness that it would still be cheaper then buying a complete plow with mountain kit

I was hoping the truck mount on his 98 would easily swap over to my 08 but with a good 10 years intbetween I didn't have my hopes high on them being compatable

And thank you guys so much, iv been reading the forum here since I was 15 and now that I got a truck im really tring to get set up to plow (just a few driveways and stuff, nothing too major"
  7. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

the headlight kit is the adapters to connect the universal plug of the standard harness of the plow to the specific plug of your model truck,

How old/what model meyer is it? if it's very old they may not make a mount for that new a truck.
    Meyer is pretty easy to identify on their website just by the look of the mount (numbers not really needed)
  8. cmellen

cmellen Junior Member
    from SW CT

I haven't personally seem the plow yet...my buddy was just over my house today doin some electrical work and we got to talkin that hes got a western plow that's just been sittin in his garage that's he used to use on his 98 chevy 1500 but now just plows with his companies truck...

And the mount was still on the 98 and he said hed gety more info on which plow it is along with sendin me some pictures up

my main reason of being interested in this hole thing is because iv beeb scouring craigslist and everyone if them is atleast 1700 at the very cheapest and even those are just hunks of rust and no mounting backet, so the less then 300 dollar price tag on this one has really got my attention and to try and figure out how it could work

cuz even if I gotta out work into it, id rather get it for next to nothing and have to spend some time working on it then spend like over 2-3 grand or more on a new.....( oh and also...I don't have the money to drop that much into a plow haha which is the main reason im interested in this along with it not being from some stranger

Sorry for the long post also,,,,i just have a lot to say and ask about this considering it would be my first plow
  9. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

A) Get the pics. Know exactly what the plow is/
    B) Talk to the manufacturer or a dealer and ask specific questions. Get part numbers descriptions.
    C) Search the internet - Craigslist - Search tempest - for the truck side. Someone out there has one. Post in the Chevy forum and the Meyer forum for help.

In Bangor MI theres a guy selling used plows and he has a bunch of them. Mostly older and may have what you need. I'm sure he's not the only person doing this. Consider it a quest. Once you know what you need email and call every dealer and one of them will likely have what you need. Also you might have a good welder look at the existing mount and a drawing of new mount. May be able to use the existing mount and fab what you need. Lots of good welders out there. Check with the farmers they all use someone on farm equipment..

Enjoy the chase...
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015