1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First plow ever advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Snowball271, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Snowball271

Snowball271 Junior Member

Just signed up to forum and looking for opinions. Never plowed a day in my life but just ran in to a bonus of about 5 grand and thought about getting a plow. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 1500 1/2 ton. Would just be doing my driveways and a few relatives, but if I like it maybe more. Thinking about Boss Standard duty or Fisher SD. Dealer at fisher said my truck would be fine for the SD although the HT is specifically for half tons. Its only 300 bucks more and seems to be a lot easier hooking up. Of course both dealers said there brand is the best. Service dealers are both about 20 minutes away and have good reputations. Don't really understand it but seems like they have different trip options where one (I think the boss) the whole plow goes over bumps and the other just the trip edge does. No idea?? I'm Sure the whole fisher vs. boss has been on here a thousand times but any help, advice, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Here's some questions you can answer yourself that may get you your decision.

Which dealer felt more interested in providing good service than just selling you the plow. Plenty of guys here have switched plows solely due to having bad service from a dealer.

Which plow do you think you like? Does one mounting system seem easier or more reliable?

The reason I say this is because so many new guys come on here and it takes 3+ pages to make a decision and get the right help because questions have to go both ways.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Spend the money on something else.
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm kinda with grand.
    If its something you think you might like. Try subing for a local plow company first and see if you even like plowing. Use there trucks and see if you can get all kind of info on plowing and the brands then make your decisions
  5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

From my own experience and what I've witnessed w/ others, working for family and friends is something that should be avoided. There is a fine line between wanting to just do something nice & an expectation or a commitment. There is never a true balance when it evolves to expectations, because everyone's are different. When it starts out everyone is giddy. After several storms, not so much. There will be little to no appreciation for what you have vested in time, money & depreciation. If there is any money exchanged, even if it's a small fraction of what it should be...in their mind they did you a favor & in your mind you did them one. Do you really want to test those relationships?

IMO, you would be way further ahead, if you took part of that cash and just bought everyone service for the season. The hardest lesson to ever learn is "the deal is always in your own head, not theirs". If they pay you $10 for gas and a box of cookies...you got paid.

As far as plows go, their both good.
  6. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I agree with dieslss & gv.

As far as your current choice of a plow vehicle & plows:

None of the above. I recommend using a 3/4 ton PU & for a plow brand it's Hiniker all the way.Thumbs Up
  7. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Gotta say, hearing someone saying "Hiniker all the way" is a first for me! Not bum-rapping your brand of choice by any means, just a first hearing that!
  8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I don't think that there is going to be any major issue with dealing with family or whoever on this. What I would suggest, is that you don't let them become DEPENDENT on you for it. For example, if they normally hire it out to someone else, you might not want to take it on. If they normally use a shovel and/or snow blower, go ahead, because they're prepared to do the work themselves. DON'T CHARGE FAMILY FOR PLOWING unless it is a commercial property, because then it becomes an obligation.

I do my own driveways (two of them, one is 3 km long), and if I happen to be heading over to my parents' house, the plow happens to be on my truck, and they happen to have not already cleaned the snow (they have a blower), then I'll clear it out for them.

Truck that size should probably have a 7.5' plow. Trip edges are nice, because they don't dump the whole scoop when they trip, but just a little at the bottom. Regarding which of the options to pick... figure out which one seems to be the most durable, but not crazy oversized for your truck. Look at them in person if you can. Look at the brochures, pictures of them, etc., try to avoid plows that have inaccessible and unsealed cavities in between metal parts where salt water can get to, but you can't paint. Those spots are where the plow will fail.

Don't listen to the guys saying not to plow with anything less than a super oversized pigmobile, unless you're going to get right into commercial plowing. Your truck is FINE for a few driveways.
  9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Boss makes a real nice light duty plow, work that truck to death and buy another...
    I have a Boss maintenance free for 5 years now..

Don't go cheap on the plow, you will spend more time fixing it then plowing with it.
  10. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

This. Thumbs Up
  11. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Yes, take the money and invest it somehow.
  12. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Just be aware that snow plow insurance is not cheap. If you take any money for plowing you are commercial snow plower and you truck insurance will not cover you.

Ok that said, Get a BOSS. I have a 7"6" v with wings (makes it 9' 4") on a 1/2 ton. They will not mount one on a 1/2 ton, supposedly to heavy for it. Get a 7' 6" straight blade
  13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

put it in the bank towards when you want to trade your truck in for a new one!....want to plow....get hired on and find out what it is really like...not all warm and cozy in a cab work...learn it first on someone elses dime
  14. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

X2. After owning and running MANY Hinikers I will not own another. Very sub par when compared to the competition.

Spend the money elsewhere!
  15. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

personally I say go for it. you wanna plow that's cool. I never spent 1 second behind a truck with a plow on it until I got my first plow.

as for what plow I'm partial to boss but I say get what you want for whatever reason you want.

you can totally plow with a half ton. I've been doing it for 4 years now. same truck nothing broken. for 2 and half I ran a boss 8' super duty straight blade and now I'm running a 7'6" boss standard duty v blade.

I'm from IN by the way and I do see some snow now and then.

16. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

One of my guys just bought a plow and is going to sub for me instead of be a driver..

He was able to add 1,000,000 coverage to his truck so he can plow on his policy. Also added his other 2wd truck.. Said it's cheaper now than regular insurance.. $200 a month

I only pay $1000 a year, 10 Vehicles.. aerial tree service, snow, etc.
    Love me some State Farm they send us a nice Christmas Present every year
  17. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

yeah my insurance through erie isn't expensive either. lawn maintenance company and snow plowing in the winter. around $200 a month like you said.
  18. Snowball271

Snowball271 Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice. I understand all the replys as far as spending it on something else. Still undecided. Here on the coast of Maine most storms we get rain more than snow, of course get a few good storms a year but not that much. So not looking to go into business of plowing. Looking for a used package don't want to spend 5 grand on something I might not like, but a couple grand won't hurt me financially. If I do it I will only be doing my two driveways and maybe parents and sibblings nothing more.
  19. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I'd sell you a boss 8' super duty straight blade. plow side only, no truck side for $2 grand but you'd have to come get it or pay for shipping and we are located to far apart.
  20. Martinson9

Martinson9 Senior Member

$1,000 per year for 10 vehicles? Is that $1k for each? I can't believe anyone would insure a vehicle for $100 even just for liability.