1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First plow at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by emeraldgreen, Dec 7, 2007.

1. emeraldgreen

emeraldgreen Member

Well, we've finished our first plow for local Wal-Mart yesterday. All-in-all, things went well.
    We used 3 pick-up plow trucks, and a Salt-dogg spreader. Total plow time for all trucks about 14 hours, used about 16,000 lbs of salt. We ended up with about 4.5" from a Clipper.
    Next time we'll have the wings on the plows, just didn't have them done yet.

2. HTI

HTI Member

How did you get the contract there? Did you know someone?

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

He agreed to do the "WAL-MART CHEER"

4. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

wow thats a long time for plowing one place. I thought that everyone who did big lots like that used loaders. But i guess not. Isn't that a long way to push snow with just a pick up?

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

4 and a half inches and it took you 14 hours. is that 14 hours combined, or were you there each for 14 hours. what are you getting forthat one, best be a good amount of payup!! well good luck with the rest of the season and get those wings on quick. I bet once you guys get a hang of that place you will drop it down to under 10.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Under 10 untill a pickup lays down or they get a heavy wet 12". Do you have a loader?

7. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I have to agree on the loader thing, 3 pickups is just not enough for a walmart parking lot.

When you get a massive snow or the wet stuff those pickups will be next to useless on a long push.

If it took you 14hrs to plow with 3 trucks thats way to long.

If it took you 4.3333 hrs with each of the 3 trucks thats alright but still pushing it on time with a busy place like walmart.

Personally we plow over 2million sq ft in under 5 hrs, its probably a little bigger then the walmart parking lot but if you want to see what we use go to

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=52151 .

good luck with the season

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Sk, there hasn't been any mentionable snow yet. I'd hope you did it that one nite in under five hours. One and a half of slush isn't 4.5 of powder.

9. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Slush pushes alot harder then powder.

I know plow time will vary but to me chasing down slush will take more then powder, never even had a chance to fill up those big push boxes yet.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  10. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

We plow lots much larger than a wal-mart lot and never use push boxes. Loaders are only used if we need to move snow due to multiple snows.

Ok, so our plow operators are highly skilled pros when it comes to plowing snow. :dizzy:

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

When I worked for other companies we plowed Wal-Marts, Lowe's and things of that size with trucks. There were more than 3 trucks on site, more like 5 or 6 plus maybe a skid steer but it can be done and probably better results. The one loader used where I was left 2 inches of tire marks so we had to go back and clean his mess up.

12. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Spoken with years of experience - have fun

13. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

stop by anytime

14. digit

digit Member

I hope that was 14 hrs. combined because if it was for each truck you could be much more efficient with a wheel loader and a box pusher. I can't believe the management does'
    nt complain about having you on site that long for only a four inch snow.

15. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

seems like lots of salt...... if you use treated(geomelt 55) you could probably get by with 1 ton..

16. LIBERTYLANDSCAP

LIBERTYLANDSCAP Member

Looks like he ALREADY answerd that question... 14 Hrs. TOTAL

17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

one ton come on ! ! Ive never plowed a walmart but i would say there average 200,000 sq ft for a little one to 350,000 sq ft for a super walmart. Now im no expert (well i know a little)but ther is no way you could get away with 1 ton of any treated salt. I would think you would use between 4-8 tons from the smallest to the largest lot. So he may have put a little to much down but i would'nt think he that far off.

Now. i would not touch that lot without a decent loader. Trucks are old school

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  18. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

try a truck during business hours clearing lanes and starting the push toward the back of the parking area. Couple Hours before close get a loader going starting in the back of the store then the back of the parking lots where people are less inclined to park and you have what was pushed down from the truck earlier. Once it closes you should be out of their within a few hours as long your not doing removal that day too.
    I wouldnt just use trucks it makes for lower piles that are wider and take up more space without being able to do the same job as a loader. Your saving time by using the truck to push it down the lanes for the loader to grab at the end and saving time again by not expecting the truck to cross the whole lot for the entire thing and utilizing the wider box on the loader. with a loader you could go one truck during business hours and add another if you needed to after business hours during cleanup. Dont forget to clear a place for the night shift to park and make sure they move there cars there. lol.
    just my thoughts.:confused:

19. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Are walmart let a local snow plow operator get away with 4 trucks after the contract stated that he use loaders with 14' pusher boxes. Well to say the least he did not do it last year my buddy excavation company did. I know for a fact that most walmart contracts call for loaders and pusher boxes. Since I bid are walmart 2 years ago.

20. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Even treated salt I think 10 tons by the time your done with one storm. Most of the time
    we are treating as the snow starts and then again as you get buildup around parked cars and then after plowing. I use one ton for one Bank....sometimes.