1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First non driveway bid.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by silentsnake09, Sep 29, 2013.

1. silentsnake09

silentsnake09 Junior Member

I just got a call for my first non-driveway bid. It is a small privately owned apartment complex. He said he wants a bid on just plowing. No shoveling, sanding, etc. One thing I need to ask him is where the state or town stops their plowing. I am new to the industry but doing this the legal and legit way. So I am thinking like $125 per six inches. I am looking forward to what everyone else says though.

[​IMG]

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

First thing to do is drive over there after midnight to see what it looks like. Then you need to ask about if they want you to come back for a cleanup after the cars leave.125.00 is a little low.

3. silentsnake09

Granview I appreciate the response. So more like $150 range or $200 range? I am running a 2012 F250 with a 8'2" Boss V-Plow.

Also I still think I wanna throw out a price for salt and shoveling. There doesn't seem to be much at all for shoveling except a little area in front of each building. I am thinking another $60 for shoveling.

Sanding I am a little lost on. I just want to have a large tailgate sander for this season. I don't have any other large lots. That would be 9 cu. ft. of sand in the tailgate. $150 for sanding to?

I appreciate the help.

4. silentsnake09

5. silentsnake09

I went by last night and there was about 15 cars.

The length of the road I need to plow with the loop is 2,200 feet.

So I am thinking

$150 per push (I ask him how many inches he wants me to come back?)

$150 to sand

6. tbyc

tbyc Junior Member

i always charged by the inch to decrees my liability and that also keeps it so they don't ***** at you coming to often or what ever the case may be.

7. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Don't ask him the number of inches, if you asked me I would say always wait till the end of the storm to save money.

Based your starting rate of $150 per push.

Plow only / Plow and sand

1-3 $150 / $300 with sanding
    4-6 $200 / $350 with sanding
    7-9 $275 / $425 with sanding
    10-12 $350 / $500 with sanding

Over 12 inches of snow is $75 every 1-3 inches up to 18

and 19 inches and over $150 every 1-3 inches

Don't forget to charge for clean up for the cars that don't move during the storm.

8. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Forgot to add this in.

While it does look easy to plow from the picture.

What is your time factor in this say during a 3 inch storm.

Is it going to take you 1 hour or 2 hours to clear it?

Figure out what you need to make on a hourly basis to cover your expensives, insurance, a bit of profit etc...

Now if it is $150 an hour then charge accordenly to each place you plow for a 1 hour min.

So 1 hour and under you start out charging $150 for the first 2 or 3 inches -(depends on the trigger) and increase it every 2 to 3 inches.

Say a clients lot is going to take you 2 1/2 hours to plow out for a 3 inch storm. They want a 2 inch trigger. No sanding, no sidewalks. Your cost is $150 per hour.

$150 x 2.5 = $375

1-2 $375
    3-4 $425
    5-6 $475
    7-8 $550
    9-10 $625
    11-12 $700 and so on.

Remember these are just examples!

Again, You need to figure out your expensives and then add in money to make a profit.

Go to high and you will not get the bid, go to low and lose money.

Isn't this fun payup