1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First multi apartment bid... Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IMAGE, Nov 30, 2007.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

ok this is related to my post on "how fast a person can snowblow sidewalks" and is the other half of the equation.

I am trying to figure a bid on 7000 ft of sidewalk. It is spread out over 6 locations(each location is a couple apts for 19 bldgs total) and drive from location to location is under 10 min. Total driving time is an hour. None of them is more then 10 minutes from my residence either.

I am thinking ballpark blowing $650 for just the sidewalks and entrys, for up to 4''.
    $800 4-7'' and $950 8"+
    (these would be total storm amount, I would try to be there at 2'' starting, and every 2-3 after, so I would do the loop 2x for $650total @3.9'')

I am also gonna submit a bid for the parking lots(they didnt ask for one, said they have a maintence guy with a plow on his personal truck). Some share lots, so there are 8 narrow lots and each has garages or parking spots on each boarder, and at least 1 90* turn. It comes out to 50'W x 3000'L of corridor roughly, with lots of cars in the way and with about 12 sharp corners, so lots of short pushes. Some of them are pretty easy lots, done in 10 min, some are gonna be a pain, taking 20-25 min I am sure. I have figured the time for all the lots coming to 2-2.5 hours, not including drive time(but figured on safe side i think)

I am thinking of bidding the lots at $240 up to 4''. and up from there.

So both combined that puts me at $890 up to 4''. I am thinking of telling them I will give them a discount if they give me the plowing also, and justify it by the fact "I am driving to every location anyways, why not plow it while I am there its not that much longer". I was thinking maybe $790 up to 4" if they take the plowing also.

This company has nice greens also(i can see the striping in the frost still) and want to get thier grass also, would this be good pricing? Or maybe not? I am completely new to this and dont want to lowball, but I have a feeling I am way higher at these prices I mentioned then the last guy, because she said the last guy was "on text" meaning she told him when it snowed enough to come. I am trying to tell her to let me handle it and she can sleep. She is my friends sister, and she is an ins agent also, so hopefully she can appreciate I am commercial insured, I doubt thier maint guy is.(how can she allow that???)

She has told me she worry's about a company coming in and doing it over and over, and charging over and over. I tried to tell her that is not what I will do. I will do it as needed only. So hopefully I can get it contracted. I decided if she wants "on text" that I will tell her that rates are 10% higher, and that I cannot promise to be available right away because contracted customers come first. So "on text" is 10% more, and she loses out on the plowing discount.

Does that seem like a good way to bid this? I would really like to hear from Northland, 4x4farmer, and anyone else in the midwest to see if the pricing is close. But I want to hear from everyone about the concept. Thanks!!!

2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

So no one has input on pricing for 19 apt bldgs spread out over a 10 mile radius?

Comes to a total of 7000 ft sidewalk and 3000 feet of "narrow around bldg" parking lots.

Just sidewalks -$650
    Just plowing parking areas- $240
    Both - $790.

About right?

3. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

sidewalks

We always try to price sidewalks by the hour, so many variables its very hard to tell. Try to give them a ballpark est by leave yourself room. I subbed a job years ago with alot of sidewalks almost put me under. I was out of pocket 5 grand in salaries in just a few weeks and would not get my $ in for a few weeks. Be careful with huge sidewalks. I try to do all commercial when I do residential commercial im real careful how I bid.

4. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

cheap

(after reading more closely)I could never do that for that price, but it's up to you

can you tie up workers for that long
    do you have enough workers
    how many hrs
    what do you need to make

I get $100 per hour for 1 man w a 29 in blower
    2 man crew $150
    good luck I hope i helped a little

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I raised my prices some. Here is the estimate I am about to submit

Attached Files: