1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Merritt...now USM??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowbrothers101, Sep 27, 2013.

1. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

One of my Account Managers at Merritt used to work at USM and told me that USM might be going away. Talk is Emcor is going to break up the company and move different parts to one of their 65 other holding companeis. Apparently their reputation and name is hindering their ability to grow. Might be time to retire that name along with Snow Management Group and Symbiot!!!

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

A name change and breaking up a company are very different things. For this to be known by your contact at a competitor and not out for public knowledge for a Fortune 500 company like EMCOR means its conjecture at best.

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

USM severely went down hill when they got rid of their CA location. The PA office side of things were spotty at best, payments came to a crawl, no point of contact, or several and all always passed off the questions onto someone else. We've dealt by now, with just about all the Nationals that service in this area, and although many are now pulling the same old unethical tricks USM patented years back, none were as bad as they were.

One of the biggest kickers was a more simple landscape maintenance contract for them for a kiddie daycare site, actually two of them. Our first service 1st week of May, grass was uncut still, yet they told us it was currently handled by another sub prior to us signing them, then they told us after they were done, that we didn't cut 100% of the one site, and said a "field" of 2ft tall grass is part of their property, even after our crew verified with the manager that it was not and had the ticket signed off on. They cancelled the contract using us, and sent us a DOLLAR, yeah, $2k+ worth of work for initial weeding, bed edging, spring cleanup, mowing, lot cleanup, trash etc... and $1.00 . Never had such a big F U with a commercial contract in my life. Lawyer was involved in the collections for over a year, their legal department drug their feet every chance they got and we eventually took settlement over a year later just because i was tired of the legal bills associated with not getting anywhere and them wanting to go into a costly arbitration process "because they couldn't pay their bills. USM lol, you can try to cover up @#$% but its still going to smell like @%$.