1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Impressions: Toro single stage snow thrower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kawasaki guy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy Senior Member

This is what I think of the machine.

Picture of machine.

Now, time to get in depth.

The thick rubber paddles are very heavy duty. They do not wear much, like you would think.

The on/off, choke, and primer are in a convenient location, and the on/off key is pretty good aswell, just don't take it out entirely, unless you keep good track of your stuff.

The large pull cord handle is good for when you have on gloves in the winter.

Nothing Noted
  2. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I have a 21" version of that blower i bought this year. I absolutely love it. For a single stage blower it moves some major snow.
  3. kawasaki guy

same here. for the size, it is really powerful. Here in south jersey, we don't get much snow, so this machine is perfect. It is actually more powerful then I expected.
  4. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Mine has been plowing through 6" and 2' drifts all winter. Been working great.
  5. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC Junior Member

I have a 2450, 621, and added two of these 418's this year. At just over 50lbs, there is no other machine I would rather pick up with ease and set over the side of the truck bed. What a sweet machine. Any snow under 6" we only take these, and anything over they can handle pretty well also. Any raised sidewalks we have are perfect for this machine, and since it is so light we will just bring them up and blow those walkways instead of shoveling. Kudos to Toro for making a blower that really packs a punch wesport!
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I agree, I think my kids size snowblower is the coolest thing ever, it's not the fastest but buddy does it sure beat shovelling! I've had one for 3 seasons and haven't done a thing to it just keeps on trucking, bought a second one this winter
  7. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

You get the new 721?
  8. kawasaki guy

I know. Toro did something right when they made these ones. Best snow blower I have ever used. Thumbs Up

I know. This thing is just as good as a snowblower that is 2x the price. payup

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Couple ? Why is the start rope wearing through cover? Does the red switch thingy stick out far enough that it will break off if you load in truck over the side of bed with the back wheels last?
  10. kawasaki guy

I think at the dealer the cord was not in the holder, so that is not an issue anymore.

And, The red key was just out a-little bit b/c I had turned it off. It pushes in a little bit more when in the on position. And, as stated before, it also comes out all the way.
  11. kawasaki guy

Here are a few more pics

Oh, and on another note, the handles fold as-well for easier transport.
  12. AugustArborists

AugustArborists Member
    from Wyoming

This is my third season with the same machine, I love it. Last week it was 22 below with blowing snow and the governor spring froze so it ran way high, I just choked it down halfway and ran it like that until the ice melted enough for it to run normally. It was kinda scary for a minute, it sounded like a runaway about to blow.

I have broken the red "key" loading it over the side before, so I had to choke it all the way to shut it down for a few days. The key could be in a better position, it's pretty low so you have to bend way over to shut it down unless you load it first, then pull the key.
  13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have 418 bought this year my first ever snow blower I ran so much the paddles are worn past the holes and it still cleans really well I have replacement for it but wont change them till starts not pulling its self
    I was going buy a 621 but everybody was sold out before my last big storm 7'' + drifts So I bought a craftsman and that thing is a horse True test blowed threw a 3ft drift never dog down

One down fall on Toro is its all plastic and back Jan I was doing a walk and some how some river gravel was kick out in the walk and pick that up and knock a hole in the plastic behind the paddle The craftsmans is metal
  14. kawasaki guy

Well after a year, I only have one complaint, and that is:

But other than that, it seems to be doing well.
  15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You gotta keep a couple of those caps in the truck as spares. And a hammer to hammer them on with. Always keep checking the tightness of the knobs that hold the handles on to, they can vibrate loose once in a while.
  16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Or you can just drill a hole and put a washer and ss cotter pin on.In 20 years or so I think I might have lost one or two,and I run 8 toros.Thanks for insight,time to replace my 3650s
  17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That's a good idea too. I don't know how those caps come off because if you try to take them off on your own to replace a wheel, it's not easy.
  18. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I picked one up this season and it's awsum. The only issue I have is it kicks snow underneath back at me. I lift up on the handles to force the front down, try moving faster, it's level but it still kicks it back powder or wet. Is there a trick to this I'm missing?
  19. kawasaki guy

No, I have that issue too. Maybe we should try putting a longer scraper piece i the back? that might work....
  20. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Yep, found that out a week or so ago when I noticed the knob in a little pile of snow where I had been running the blower earlier. Never did find the curved washer that goes with it. The washer is probably somewhere out in the back yard after getting shoveled or swept off the deck. At least the bolt stayed in place. (The 2¼" bolts on my Husqy two-stage usually "walk" out and disappear along with the knob and washer. I've gone through at least three of those this season, at upwards of $7 for the damn knobs.)

The knob went back on the Toro, with a little blue Loctite on that bolt and the one on the other side.
    Thanks for the reminder on the wheels, too.

Mine seemed more likely to blow snow back underneath itself if I tipped it back to dig into a pile that was higher than the auger housing, so it may well have to do with keeping the front of the machine closer to the surface you're clearing.

The wandering handle knob has been my only real problem with mine so far. (Got it 02/25.)