1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first hookup this season, problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MIDTOWNPC, Oct 29, 2007.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

just hooked up the plow.
    up down no problem
    left - plow goes up then drops
    right - same thing - up then drops

I will unhook and try it again, but was just looking for some insight.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of Western? Ultra? Uni?

ultra mount(the one with the feet and easy drive in connect)
    about 3 years old.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure you have a good ground connection.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It goes up instead of angling.....and then drops all by itself?:eek:
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Seems a little young for grill plug rot, but I've seen that as a symptom.

Does it do different things depending in how you twist the grill plugs?
  7. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

dont know if this will help on my UNI mine did the same thing i was low on fluid and had air in there too i topped it off the worked the air out and left the fill plug off for 2 days and refilled all the air escaped and now it works fine
  8. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

X2 check fluids and for air

correction, it picks up and drops fine,
    doesnt turn left to right, tries to and comes back to straight, only moves a bit. it does not drop as i said before. that was a miscomunication. checked grounds, plugs seem fine, they had diselectric grease in them so i cant see rot. has to be fluid.
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, your S2 valve isn't opening for one reason or another.The S2 valve is the only one that's needed for the blade to go both left AND right. Pull the cover off the back of the pump, exposing the valve coils. Check for power at the S2 coil. ( the S2 coil is the one in the middle of the three valve/coil assembly's,with the light green wire) Check the light green wire with a test light while you have someone operate the plow left and right (BE VERY CAREFUL OF BLADE MOVEMENT!) If you do have power there, then check the ground wire for good ground on that coil too (brown/black wire). If you have power and ground, then check for magnetism at the coil with a wrench or screwdriver. If that all checks out good then the valve itself is defective.

thanks, I will check that out in the morning when I have an extra hand around to help. I was just reading the online manual now. Ill let you guys know tomorrow.

I appreciate all that helped. Here is what I did.

Checked all the connections truck side. Drained the pump, drained the angle hoses, pushed the plow left and right manually and let the hoses piss out fluid, topped off the fluid and at first it didnt go right, or left, lifted it up and then not problem, did left right a few times, put it down topped it up with fluid and im ready for the snow baby. Thanks.

I will test it out tomorrow again and check the fluid. Thanks