1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First hook up

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MillerJoel, Nov 4, 2007.

1. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

I just got done hooking up my plow for he first since i put in the head light harnes. I do not have he turn signal harnes. the high beams work when put 12v to but the low beams don't work. i really could need some help. I have a unimount plow on a f150

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Do you mean that you dont have the turn and markers hooked up? If so, finish hooking everthing up, the relays that switch the headlights get their power from the marker lights.

3. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

Is there any way to bypass that

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Why would you want to bypass the marker light wiring? Without the marker light wire connected, you won't have any markers on the plow..

5. Crash935

Yes there is a way to bypass it, but i"m not going to tell you, finish the job the right way and then tell us what doesnt work!

6. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

I am waiting for the turn sighal harness to come in it is on order. I was only going to bypass it if I neede to.

7. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

SO colud any noe give me some help until my new harnes comes in just case we get snow like every is saying well get

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You should have three wire exiting out of the control/headlight harness..

Brown: This connects the the trucks marker lamp wire..this is the wire that triggers
    the relays when the plow is connected and the headlight switch is pulled on to
    feed power to the plow lights..both high and low beam..

Gray: Right turn signal (to truck)

Purple: Left turn signal (to truck)

9. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

I got the High beams but no lows. Plus they are brand new relays

10. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Ok, looking at the wiring diagram for a unimount.. you should have the following (if not using a adaptor plug)

one from the low beam truck side(cut that wire if you do not have the adaptors) running to the relay spot #30. A brown wire running from the plug to the relay spot #86 (you also should have a brown wire to tap into your parking lights, it should be near the grey or purple wires for the turn signals). A black wire from the plow connector running to spot 87. And the black/orange one to spot 85. Spot 87a will run back to the headlight connector.

now for the high beam, same thing except the white wire from the plug replaces the black wire. note the black/orange wire jumps from 1 relay to the next then goes to the plug.

hope this helps.

Tom

11. Crash935

Still trying to figure out what turn signal harness hes waiting for, the only thing that comes to mind is that darn rampup kit with the 2 relays in it for just the turn signals. If thats the case, hook everything up without it, you can go back later and put it inline.

Since you have HI's but not Low's its time to get the wiring schematics and a test light out, may be something as simple as a wire in the work place on the relay to the wrong cross harness.

12. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

I just came in from working on it and the only why to get it to work was to swicth the orange and yellow around. the only thing is that the head light on the truck stay on and they are dim. when i swicth to the hi beams they go off. any help will help me at this time

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Before you go any farther, check the wiring on both relays to make sure the wire colors are on the correct pins on the relays..here's a diagram of the relays....

Uni relay dia.JPG

14. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

I had it that way and the low beam would not work so I switch orange and yellow around and i got to work

15. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

I had it that way and the low beam would not work so I switch orange and yellow around and i got to work . but the only thing is the truck head light are on also but they are dim . wit the low beams but once i flip on the high beams the go out until I turn back on the lows

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have the brown parking light wire connected to the truck's park wire? It has to be connected to work correctly..
    It sounds like you have a back feed on the ground side somewhere..either from a poor connection, or an incorrect connection.

Do the truck light work normally, without the grill connectors plugged in to the plow?

What year is this F150?

17. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

It is a 2000 ford f150. I hooked the brown up to a 12v power source to get to work until my park and turn relay come in . swicthing the wires was the only way i could get the low beam to come on

18. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

but why would the high beams work but not the lows

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OK, so your hi beams are ok on the truck and the plow correct? It's ONLY the lows your having problems with?
    When you connect the brown park wire to your 12V source, does the low beam relay even click?
    Swapping the orange and yellow wires should'nt make the light come on...that's why I suspect it's wired incorrectly somewhere.

Does the black/orange wire have ground with the plow connected? Use a test light and check (this would be with the orange and yellow wires on their correct pins)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  20. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

I have check all of the wires many many times . before my first post