1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FIRST HINIKER - 9.5 poly V

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by bkstoffe, Nov 30, 2008.

1. bkstoffe

bkstoffe Junior Member

I got my first hiniker installed yesterday - used it about 5 hours today on an Ethanol plant
    (huge asphalt) I really like the control, and it plowed great. does anyone have a good method for plowing gravel drives with the hiniker Vs? I am new to plowing with a V and also new to Hiniker. should I drop the shoes a little and use float? is there a way to go from gravel to asphalt without adjusting the shoes? here is a pic of my setup - Thanks

PIC_0336.jpg

2. Buckin' Around

Buckin' Around Junior Member

i just purchased a new poly 9.5 v also, i was wondering if you having the same problems on gravel as i was, the blade would jump and bouce off the ground violenty, im hoping because its new and the cutting edge is not broken in yet but i dont think so. I believe the cutting edge is too thin, i will give it time to break in, but if that dosnt work, i am going to double them up, maybe with a 1/2" one, i hope this isnt going to be a major problem with these new poly blades, not off to a great start, i love the blade otherwhys, so simple to put on and off, fast hydraulics, just keep it on the pavement and its an awsome blade,but i will get to the end of this jumping and bouncing issue, anyone else have input on this?

3. bkstoffe

bkstoffe Junior Member

yeah, same problem - I am going to try dropping the shoes a little - it only seems to bounce when it is digging into the gravel - lets face it, I dont need to move rocks, just most of the snow... It sure doea an awsome job on concrete and pavement though! I only do about an acre of gravel lot, a few gravel parking areas, and my own drives, so it isnt that big of a deal to move shoes, I would just prefer to come up with a easier way.

4. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

hmmm

I got a 8' poly straight so I just drop the shoes and leave her on float...seems to work well in gravel as I have a couple long drives that are gravel. The only other thing I could think of would be to raise your plow a little, floating it across the gravel. jmo

5. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Damn dude, that's one big awesome truck you got there!wesport
    I got a new Hiniker too, but just a straight 8'. Can't tell you how it plows though, we've only got a couple dustings so far and in the meantime, she sits at the ready.

Think snow!:cool:

I'm new to this stuff too, but on other threads I've heard guys suggest raising the plow an inch or two off the gravel till everything freezes up solid. Hope this helps...

:waving:

6. be250

be250 Junior Member
    from kc mo.

hi, with my 8' scoop i just hold up . gravel sucks, barry

7. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

I think that is great technology with the roll-pin bar trip edge . No junk can get between the trip-edge / moldboard , unlike the fisher.

8. bkstoffe

bkstoffe Junior Member

yep, I really like the design and operation of the Hiniker so far. I played around on gravel more this weekend, and with the shoes dropped a little it was much better. I will contine to practice using it without the shoes though, as I think I am gettingg the hang of it pretty well now.

9. Buckin' Around

well, i finally got some snow to try her out again, what a difference, its completly a new blade. Hiniker wanted $95 bucks a piece for another set of cutting edges, so i went down to the local metal shop, bought a 10 foot piece of 3/8" x 6" flat stock fo $80 bucks total. Took one of the edges off, traced it out and cut the piece to size with the plasma cutter, then i drilled all the holes with a drill press. Then I bolted the new piece with the old one with 1/2"x1-3/4" carriage bolts, so now i have a 3/4" cutting edge. I then found some back coutry dry roads and proceded to put about 10 miles on the cutting edge to break it in with the contour of the ground, talk about some sparks!!. Got some snow today and it plows smooth as an arrow, on pavment or gravel, no bouncing, what a relief, i dont want to mess with skid shoes all the time, what a pain in the --- that would be.... I believe the 3/8 cutting edge is just too thin, it acts more like a grader than a snowplow, double them and you'll never look back, i'd figure i'd let you guys know what i found..

10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

not sure this will happen to you but if you didn't use grade 8 bolts , when it gets cold they may snap off

11. bkstoffe

bkstoffe Junior Member

Great ! thanks for the update, I will give it a shot! I have plenty of steel.
    Did you put the new homeade blades in front of the original?

12. Buckin' Around

i put the origional in front of the homeade, i also used grade 5 bolts, which are the same grade as the ones i have taken out of it, you may want to go with 2" bolts, withe 1-3/4" you just get a whole nut with a lock washer. when i first put on both cutting edges and tryed it, i was a little discouraged because it still bounced, but after my little road trip with the blade down, i got the cutting edges "broken in", now it works like a charm. Anyways i just got an email from hiniker, "on gravel or grass you need to slow down a little, possibly put the blade in a slight scoop position and take it easy..... This is common for any trip edge plows"....... eh,,, double the cutting edges, break em in, and give her hell

13. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

someone should take a picture of the hiniker controller. I've only seen boss and western controllers