1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First generation v blade

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Sep 23, 2008.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone have any idea of the first year of the BOSS V blade. Found an older 7' 6" steel blade and was wondering on the dependability / availablity of parts. Plus how did these older blades perform. Comes with an older joystick and toggle switch on it it this helps.

DAFF

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

First year for the Boss V's was '85, which would be the old RT1 conventional mount plows.

Very rugged units but no center gap wiper, so they do leave a snow trial in any position except scoop.

Many parts and components are still available if you dig around. And many replacement parts from the newer RT2's and even RT3's can be retrofitted.

3. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Had no idea that the blades have been around for that long. So are there any eras of Boss V blades to advoid?? The one in question is an rapid attach 7' 6" joystick operated. Mid 1990's by the look of it.

Thanks

DAFF

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they've been around for a while Daff. Still several RT1's (conventional mount) running around here and still holding up great for their age.

Not really anything specific to avoid..just like any other plow they slowly evolved and continued to be improve upon. If you not picky on the age or mounting style any one will do the job. But remember depending on what truck your installing it on you may not be able to find a mount for it. For example, you won't find an RT1 mount for most any brand of truck newer than approx the mid 90's...or until that manufactures body style changed. Same with an RT2.

Have any pix of the plow in question?

5. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Daff

I have an old RT2 plow from about 98 that I just put on a new 08. The boss plows are great. I have four of them and would never buy anything else.

Like B&B said the really old ones you will not be able to get the mount to fit on your truck .

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

After looking at the pictures with more detail I have noticed "RAPID-TACH II" on the back side of the blade. From this I would think it is a RT2??? The blade is a package deal with a truck.

I have used almost every blade out there but the BOSS. For to this date I still don't haven't found a make which makes me jump up and down. Up untill now it has been a give and take relationship with them.

once again thanks

DAFF

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, the "RT" in "RT2" designates Rapid Tach Daff. So if it's an RT2 it has to be approx a '94 to '98-'99 model year plow.

Virtually all replacement parts are still available for the RT2's...except vehicle mounts for some of the newer trucks.