1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first gas station bid what is a fair price?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by ED922, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ED922

ED922 Junior Member

i got a gas station owner that i know that is looking for me to plow his gas station i live close and i have been coming there for years . they guys that normaly do the station very rarely show up and when they do it looks like crap missed spot and little salt. i would like to have him as a customer but all so dont want to work for free. he would like to set up a contract and i never have done a contract i always just worked for a buddy for extra cash but things are tight and i need to find more work. the contract is for salt, shovle and plow but im new to doing this on my own and now that there is a lot of things to consider when bidding a contract such as time, snow fall , cost of salt and labor. what do you guys recomend

6900 state park.jpg
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Somewhere between $1 and $1,000 per trip.
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Given the specs you provided, (he's your buddy, old guys didnt do a great job, you have no idea how you're going to bid it) I think mark is spot on with that price, assuming of course thats including 100% sidewalk safe salt.
  4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Gas stations are a pain to plow, and the owners dont want to pay worth a crap. Myself I stay far away from them. Plowed a couple about 4 years ago have bid one since. Oh and the tank lids hurt like hell when you hit one and you will hit one.

Good Luck Mike
  5. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Fly. Dont do it.
    #1 Unless you have insurance. Rip one of those lids and you will be out a butt load of money.
    #2 They pay for crap thats why ALL gas stations look like crap even days after a storm
    #3 Traffic in and out is a pain. Nobody watches out for the plow truck, there always in a huge hurry.

My advise is make it well worth every trip because you will lose hair and time and money doing it. My 2 cents
  6. ED922

ED922 Junior Member

thank you guys i am greatful for your comments, hopefully it will be a good winter for all im sure we all; need it
  7. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

you didnt mentiuon insurance are you covered or are you working under the gas station insurance? There is a reason all gas stations look like crap, the dont want to pay, cars whipping in and out and forget about the serivce tank covers. My ass is still sore from the last one I paid for. I dropped 2 of them and never looked back.
  8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

:nod: Never ever a gas station. Unrealistic to expect any quality. They can't pay so they don't Their profit on a gallon of gas is any where from 2 cents up ward to 14 cents. That's it. They get most of he dollars from hoho's, cigs and drink. You always use more salt than any other lot because there is always traffic. For get it.
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Ummmm.......... Not the one I do. :cool:
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you run a steel cutting edge in these?
  11. cretebaby

Yes, and always freshly filed. :laughing:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  12. Deco

Deco Senior Member

pre-treat or (NUKE) the woop dee doos uh huh .

Attached Files:

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Thought maybe rubber with the lids

Do you pretreat with table salt or sea salt:laughing:
  14. cretebaby

Duh, everyone knows you use this for a gas station.

I can't figure out my so many people have so many problems with the lids.

I have never even popped a lid off let alone need to replace the whole thing.:dizzy:
  15. ED922

ED922 Junior Member

well guys no matter on this station any ways i went back to talk with the owner and he came to me and said he was sorry buy he got a good deal and he couldnt pass it up the whole lot plus salt and shovle for 1300.00 for the year! i told him to keep my card handy and ill check back with him after the firstsnow fall and see if the guy comes through. and he is not the only one went to three other accounts that i know and they all said the same thing i left them all my card. i talk to a couple of my buddies and they said the same thing that they are being out bid by this same guy for 1300.00
  16. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

You're going to see this a lot this winter - the toughest thing about snow plowing is there are basically no barriers to entry. Anyone with a truck can go on ebay or craigslist and get a used blade and lowball the **** out of the deal.
  17. Deco

Deco Senior Member

18. Deco

Deco Senior Member

same with landscraping , painting , cement , concrete.....etc. ........ it's all around
  19. Yup I'm new to the plowing used to plow for my father in law and he taught me everything so I could go alone and one think he taught me was not to be a LB and there is a lot of THEM AROUND I lost a bid for this apartment place I bid it at 250 per snow fall and some one said 75 wtf isn't salt for the ton around that price this year???????
  20. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Mickey D's will pay better then that flipping burgers LOL, and the hours are better.
    Now you know why they look like crap all the time.