1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Full concrete paver driveway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dogplow Dodge, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Came across this fella who owns a very nice little house not far from where I live. Nothing fancy :rolleyes: Just one of the nicest retreat homes I've ever had the pleasure of being invited into.

So he asks me to plow the driveway for him. Tight quarters, but I think I can do it as long as my new bumper doesn't crush a bunch of his fancy, schmancy doo dads in his yard. Little nervous driving the brick into this property at night when I can't see anything. Lord knows how much we all love gravel drives as well.

So, I've done partial paver drives before, but this is a first whereas the entire parking area is all pavers. Should be interesting the first go around, and I hope not to damage anything seriously....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ive been plowing a lot done in the same pavers you show.
    not one issue with a steel edged plow.

but sometimes, it's better to walk away from a pita account no matter how mush $ is involved.

good luck look forward to the posts, saying:angry::realmad::yow!::cry:

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pic #1 appears to show a crappy base.

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Thanks !

I'll try not to be banned from my future posts from this job...

5. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

I've done a few paver drives, never a problem with pulling up pavers, have left skid marks on one where the 3 car drive had tire ruts pretty bad, left marks on all 3 areas in between the tire ruts. Told the customer ahead of time. Just make sure you inform him it IS a possibility of scratches but that they will dissapear with time. Make sure there is something in your contract as well

Edit- the first couple years I did that paver drive I was using a V plow and it would almost contour to the ruts, never did any marking with that plow. Last year I used a wideout and that was when there were some scratches

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Looks a huge pita, I would worried about tearing out their stone curb thing.

7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Pic 2 and 3 don't look mulch better base wise...

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

It comes down to the condition of the surface. Just put in a general clause about the equipement you use and the possibility of damages caused. To say I've never lifted,scratched,broken hurt a paver will just reassure them that nothing will happen which you can't really without a doubt predict. To be fair I lifted a patch of asphalt a couple of years ago that I have no idea how my truck moved it into the pile without feeling it. Freeze thaw cycles do mysterious unpredictable things to solid surfaces. Protect yourself and take the money...(there's a hooker joke in there somewhere)

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I used to no some people in that field. Its get in get on get off get out. I think your gonna want a rubber edge for that one. How long is that drive?

10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Not rubber poly edges and they are like $700 for a 9 footer
    And no guarantee on damage and do it be honest there is a chance of scratching all depends on his driveway and ruts go slow and u will be fine

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The real money to be made on that property is in pressure washing.

12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Yeah pressure wash re stabilizer sand and maybe seal it

13. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Just don't forget to backdrag because those gates open out!!!!! xysport