1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Fluid Chnge for Me

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kbsnow, Oct 28, 2009.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

I recently purchaed a a 91 GMC with a Western cable plow. The fluid looked dirty when I disconnected the hoses from the plow. I finally got the nerve to drain and clean and fill...but I could not find the drain plug. After moving the pump to the up position, I disconnected the bottom bolt from the pump and swung out the bottom to be closer to the ground. I finally noticed a small allen-key bolt. Sure enough that was it. drained the pump and as it was draining I removed the fill plug to release the pressure. Fluid was a redish color so I figured it was trans fluid. I then removed the electric motor so I can get to the filter....what a surprise. The inside of the housing was SPOTLESS, as though it was just serviced. The screen filter was laying on the bottom of the housing, and looked pretty clean. I cleaned the filter and installed it on its mount. I partially filled the pump housing with fluid, installed a new gasket, and installed the electric motor. I then installed the bottom bolt, and then moved the plow lever to the lower position with the filler plug out. I guessed pretty good as some fluid came out, but not a whole lot. I filled until the bottom of the threads and capped her up. All I have left to do is drain the cylinders on the blade and I'm all set.
  2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

good for you.......i too will be doing my first on 2 plows this year...

nerve racking if you never done it....nervous to screw it up