1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First experience with liquid calcium chloride

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GSS LLC, Jan 31, 2013.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

well, my first experience wasn't the best. Mostly because we went from 1-3" of snow with 10-15 mph winds to 3-5" with 35 mph winds. so my pre treatment, while it lasted for a bit, was useless in the long run. I'm thinking that the blowing snow dilluted the LCC to a point that it eventually did nothing. when i plowed, i did not plow to bare ground like people have said would happen. again, im thinking its because the blowing snow rendered the lcc worthless. However, as the first 1/2" fell, my lot was mostly clean where others were 100% covered as in the first 3 pics. these three pics are of my lot.

IMG_20130129_234224.jpg

IMG_20130129_234159.jpg

IMG_20130129_234138.jpg

2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

these two pics are a menards lot taken at the same time. this shows the difference in coverage.

IMG_20130129_234436.jpg

IMG_20130129_234447.jpg

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

this is how my lot looked after plowing, and spraying 60 gpa to post treat with LCC. took about an hour to go from your typical post snow plowed look to this.

IMG_20130130_133309.jpg

IMG_20130130_133314.jpg

IMG_20130130_133356.jpg

4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

this is what a tractor supply parking lot looked like at the same time. it had sand/salt mixture spread on it.

IMG_20130130_133611.jpg

IMG_20130130_133633.jpg

5. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

All in all, I think i needed more than 60 gallons for the 1.5 acres to post treat with better results. but it worked with time. This snow might not have been the best snow for liquid to really shine, but i was dying to try it. I really think a home made 90/10 salt brine is the way to go. you can double your gpa and still be under the cost of spraying LCC and i think 120 gpa of brine would really melt snow at a fast pace compared to a 60 gpa application of lcc. Im thinking but i might be wrong, its happened before.

Customer was happy enough with it (i kind of had to sell them on the finished product awsomeness)

Question, would you send the comparison pics to the property manager to show them the difference in their lot compared to others? something to kind of reassure them it was money well spent.

6. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

anyone have an opinion?

7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

We've started using it this year on walks only. I have noticed we don't get near the holding power we do with other products, including yes rock salt. We have used it as a locker after we shovel to jump start whatever product we put down but it simply CAN NOT melt off falling snow which is my biggest hope when looking for a change. We don't have a problem melting what's left after we shovel, anything will do that. My problem is always trying to find something that gives us the best results while we are out servicing other properties during a storm.

8. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Just from looking at your pics I think it worked well for you compared to the other lots without it. Once the lot wets up and the wind starts blowing it becomes sticky. I don't think there's really anything that going to fight off the blowing snow.

9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

A Couple of notes. We used all CC last year. We got it as cheap as most people possibly can 0.64$/gallon. I was not overly impressed with it for its ability to melt off after plowing, when treated before the snow. I think its best to handle liability before the storm from stopping the ice/pavement bond and to maybe burn off the first 1/2-1inch. I dont ever put any faith on it "Reactivating" after the storm.

This year we use kubotas 90/10 on just about every situation, especially POST snow to mix with a light granular app. It tends to work just as well and is much cheaper for when those mis forcasts happen.

I find Kubota gets better results then us with liquids in general and I have never understood why. Last week I think I figured it out. Majority of our winter is spent from the 0C to minus 4C. We had a snow at -10C not to long ago and the liquid worked SO MUCH BETTER. To the point I could use all liquid and no granular. Im guessing its just the snow ratios that are commonly around here are lower then say other parts of the norther USA or Canada.

Just some observations.

10. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I think the gallons you can spread per dollar is where brine really shines. You can spread 4 times the amount of liquid, for the same cost.

11. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I want to use liquid for the following reasons.
    No bridging sand, less dealing with snow covered tarps easy to load liquid setup. Easy to store.

12. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

That was easy. :laughing: