1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First ever call from a snow management company

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DodgeBlizzard, Dec 4, 2010.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Got our first ever call from a snow management company to do a very busy convenience store (yes in the first week in December). Had to laugh first of all because a business is calling in December. Then laughed even harder at their budget numbers given. I said those numbers won't work for us but later gave them our numbers. Just the vehicle traffic and foot traffic would be a huge risk for sue happy people and the desired trigger point. Do they start low and hope to get someone to bite on those numbers so they can make more profit for themselves? They seem to have a different plow contractor every year and the lot is always a mess. They never look like they are having any fun waiting on vehicles pulling in and out, gas island covers, foot traffic, etc. So do management company's have their budget numbers set in stone and keep calling til they find someone to work for nothing?

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Most do have some "play" with the inital figures given. And yes they will find someone to work for nothing.

3. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

who was the company??

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

So true.

Treat it like buying a car. Know what your fair price is and that this wont be the account you retire on, and everything will be golden. If they cant meet your price, then you don't need the work all that badly.

5. spy0068

spy0068 Junior Member

Sheetz in Philipburg...... It is a company out of Erie, Arlington Lawncare, Inc.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  6. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Could it be snow management associatation,? they called me before thanksgiving for properties in the scranton area, they should really call in september and october, not november or december. Sadly some of these national companies are killing the snow&ice business.

7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Properties change hands quite often, or go into receivership with a new management company, change management companies, or what have you...

Just look at it as a new opportunity for you.

8. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

No it's not a Sheetz in Phillipsburg and management company wasn't out of Erie, Pa.

We didn't get the property at our price and we didn't do it for their price either. The first storm we grabbed a drink and I couldn't help but just sit and watch these guys. I watched the plow guy backdrag more then he plowed forward....and that was in the middle of the lot. His partner was chucking salt out of a five gallon bucket for the entire parking lot......About an acres worth of property? Can't wait to see what happens during a big storm.

9. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I do not know why some guys would jump at a company trying to lo ball the price.Your per hr rate should be your rate and that is it.I may and will at times help out a little old lady everytime.

10. second income

second income Member

Lipinski was trying to negotiate with us in December. A basic Rite Aid Lot was yielding$86.00 per push. I told them they would have to at least double that figure. The rep said they would get back to me. A week later they did and they had good news for me, they were willing to raise it 5%!!!!!!!!!! It was good for a laugh.

11. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

IT'S AGMG...where's good old Rich at??

12. jenton

jenton Junior Member

Arlington is fairly new to the management end of the business, they are only about 3 years old. but so far a good reputaion. I personally refuse to work for any management companies, due tp the rates, and lack of control over the site and not having direct contact with the property manager. plus they NEVER PAY ON TIME. so i would say be careful, there are plenty of mid sized lots out there that need you. And be prepaired to be on the hook for all lawsuits and damages on there sites, and Lipinski and Brickman are the worst.