1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First ever{ Boss Rep doesn't want to sell a product}

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ronscofield, Jan 9, 2006.

1. ronscofield

ronscofield Junior Member

I went to Monroe trucking in Monroe,Wi. to look into getting a 9.2 V. The salesman said he couldn't sell me a 9.2 by law, but he would sell me a 8.5 V.
    I have a 98 dodge ram 2500 4x4 quad cab with a 6ft. bed.
    I know there are some of you out there that have the 9.2 on 3/4 ton trucks.
    What is going on?:gunsfiring:
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

ive never heard of any law saying what you can have on your truck. tell him to shove it and put the plow on your truck
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I wonder if it relates to a law that you can't have anything wider than 9' on the highway?
  4. Hammer

Hammer Junior Member

Nah, just take the issue to the BBB. And do your business elsewhere.

The limit of width for MN that I know of is 108".

A 9'2" V Boss plow in the V position is only 99"
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  5. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

The 9.2v overloads the front axle #.The 8.5v is the largest and heaviest plow they will install on your truck,but if you install it yourself you could put a 10ft on if you so choose.

BOMBER Member

Correct, it has to do with federal law not state. Regarding aftermarket products overloading GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING and GROSS AXLE WEIGHT RATING. :nod:

A reputable dealer will not violate this rule.
  7. NEAL

NEAL Member

I can assure you the Boss rep wants to sell you a product. The problem has already been stated. The federal government has regulations for weight ratings on the front ends of trucks. Your dealer is just following the rules put before him. Like just about anything though you will find people bending the rules, so if you are bound and determined to put that plow on your truck you may be able to find another dealer that is willing to sell you the plow and then you could install it yourself. Keep in mind though that you could be exposing yourself to liability in case you were to get in an accident with the plow on and a lawyer can pin the the blame on you for the "overloaded front end".
  8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Think about this....

If your truck were a DUALLY, you would NEED the 9.2 to cover the rear duals.

The front axle on a 2500 is likely the SAME as on the 3500 Dually.

Go somewhere else, install the plow yourself, and then drive past his shop and let him know how much money he lost.
  9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Look into local state vehicle codes in regards to snow plowing equipment. In PA vehicles are exempt as far as width of a plow. But remember a few posts ago about the license plates being covered by the hitch mount salt spreaders. Well I work for a State Police Dept. and I got busted by a Lieutenant he said he would give me a week to move it.:angry: :salute:
  10. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Bomber is right. You are probably overloading your GAWR or more specifically, your gross front axle weight rating. This is a violation of Federal law. If the state police put some scales under your front wheels, you will get fined. Worse yet, if you cause property damage or bodily injury due to your not stopping fast enough and there is enough evidence to show that had your front axle been properly loaded, your stopping distance would have been shorter, you become criminally responsible. Never overload your axles. They are rated for a reason.
  11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If your truck were a DUALLY

with a crew cab,

they still wouldnt do the install,

It all comes down to front end weight rating...
  12. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Yep,... these guys are right,.. my dealer said the same thing.. when I told them I wanted the 9.2 V-blade installed, the first thing they asked, was what truck I had,... they won't put it on anything less than a 1-ton,... overloads the front axle weight rating,... that would put the liability on them... if you buy it yourself & put it on, you assume the liability,... so that's your choice.
  13. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

How much weight difference is there between the 8.5 and the 9?
    The load on the front axle can be changed by how much ballast is in the back.
  14. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Hey Ron
    I went through this Fisher.. the law is max of 62% of the front axial weight. You can do it like all have said, but remember to add extra ballast and pick up some Trimbrens so the truck handles the weight better.

My cousin lives in Argyle he said it beautiful county out there.
  15. RandyS

RandyS Junior Member

For me I would probably get my checkbook out and buy from that dealer. Let's see, he's honest and knew his business. Where's the bad part?
  16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

He lost a sale.

Informing the potential customer of the danger, and making him sign a waiver if he wanted it installed.

If no installation is needed, cash and carry is all this guy needs to know.
  17. RandyS

RandyS Junior Member

I understand he lost a sale by knowing his job. He already knew too much because the guy told him what truck it would go on.
    Signing a waiver doesn't make it right. Dealer might still be liabel in court.
    For me I just like the idea of a dealer knowing what equipment will work for me. We all have our own way of looking at things.
  18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I've never met a dealer (for ANYTHING) that knew more about the product then me. I research, research, research, then do some more. Pick what I want/need, and go and purchase it. Someone who then tells ME what I want/need never gets the sale.
  19. RandyS

RandyS Junior Member

I agree, most dealers don't really do their homework. Sadly so.

JEFFREY Junior Member
    from wi

I work for a dealer in Janesville, wi and you can install any plow that you like but there is a reason that they dont recommend some plows on some trucks. We will have folks sign a waiver but we try not to do it, also you void the Warrenty if you install a plow on a truck that it is not recommended for, so really they are look out for your best interest.