1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by CSC Contracting, Sep 27, 2010.

1. CSC Contracting

CSC Contracting Senior Member

I am looking at a 1996 1500 ext. cab with a fisher plow. Does anyone plow with a rig like this? pro's/ con's Thanks
  2. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

I have a 97 1500 ext cab with a western and it works out just great only problems so far is the wheel bearings. but overall it pushes pretty good for a half ton.
  3. RM&M

RM&M Member
    from ERIE

i have a 01 1500 reg cab with a fisher 7.5 minute mount 1. plowed last season and have replaced both u joints this past spring and have to do ball joints all around before snow starts falling.(lil more expensive). a few mechanics have told me this will be a yearly ritual with almost any truck when plowing
    other than that did very well didnt get stuck once. i had about 600lbs of sand in the bed for weight pushed 2 inches or 18 inches without a problem at all. gotta have some good tires though. but all in all i love plowing with this truck only thing i would change is shoulda got a cummins. lol
  4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Curious why you would look for a 1/2 ton with a plow. Why not just get a 3/4 ton?
  5. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I have a 05 half ton ,plowed the the past 2 winters with it and have had no problems and have not had to change anything. depending on what you want to be plowing you should be good with it. your not going to go out and plow walmarts with it but just use common sense and youll be fine... Im sure though I will go with a bigger truck next time as i do have a couple small lots Im doing but I didnt buy the plow to go out and get a bunch of accts to make money with it either
  6. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

i have an '01 1500 quad cab. i have an 8 foot fisher mm1 on it. of course i upgraded to diesel springs up front. but she handles the plow well and pushed great for a 1/2 ton. only thing ive had to replace is the wheel bearings. watch out for the tranny though. a good aftermarket auxillary tranny cooler will help tons.
  7. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I've got 96 2500 gasser with a 8.5 western and a western 1000 spreader. It has only ever been a plow ruck for the short 66,000 miles on it. It has the diesel springs in the front and is now in need of ball joints and a front bearing hub. Other than that it's been a good truck.
  8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry I thought you said you were looking for a 1500....