1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first crumpled garage door!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowman350, Dec 27, 2004.

1. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Well, I finally got some snow here worth pushing! But, as murphy says, when things are going goood.......you back into a garage door!
    I couldn't see out my back window yet and was using mirrors.....driving really slow and just barely tapped the garage door...didn't even scratch my truck, but garages are made of tin foil. Luckily the people who own the home are great customers, and are telling me not to even let it bother me. Someone's going out tomorrow to take measurements, and a price on a new door. I have the ins. for it, but with the deductible, and the higher ins. rates, I'm actually better off paying out of pocket. What a B!%CH.

Hope you all had a safe and profitable holiday.
  2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Bet next time you will clear that back window!! :dizzy:
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yea, I came close last night to backing into a few things. Visibility was bad last night, blowing and drifting snow, and snowing like hell. I was going carefully but not wasting anytime either trying to stay ahead. Stopped just short of the garage door a few times at one of my drives. Roads bad, tons of people off the highway last night. My neighbor got stuck in a 5' snowbank about 6am this morning, he found out the hard way that it was not a good idea to use his Geo as a battering ram, tryed to get out with out shoveling. Big time stuck! Up past his door handles, had to shovel just to get the damn door open so he could get out. Chain it to my truck, 4LO, still did not want to move too much just sank more. I plowed around the car as much as I could, mind you iam chipping at a 5' bank left by a bull dozer. Tryed to pull him again, came right out. Then i plowed his drive, 1 hour of my time spent on him. Gave me a hundred dollar bill afterwards which was suprising. Otherwise things are going well, alot of work, no sleep yet and iam going back out for some more clean up and to shovel some walks and steaps for the good customers. Ive got a few more vacant properties that i need to do tonight, i did not have time to hit them last night.
  4. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

every close call leaves my heart in my throat all most hit a car today with the bobcat. $$$ we will see how much curbing i will buy this spring so far im up to about 15 feet....
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, damn near slid into a pole last night too, forgot it was there. I screwed up alot more then normal last night for whatever reason, iam lucky i did not actually hit anything, came close way too many times though. :cry:
  6. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

thinking about getting new tires and have them snpied any one use them on a bobcat? it may be cheaper than a fender or more....
  7. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Garage door?

Dan these things DO Happen! I as a Foreman working On Jobs-have Noticed that Young Fellers Do get into Trouble! Often & heres what I finally Figured Out!--Trouble is Usually Assoiated w/ Trying too HARD!--Too get the Job Done?--Do It Better?--Quicker? DONO? Really?? but--this is what I noticed!--& Plowing SNOW! has Its Problems!--the COLD--Visibilty--Items left in Your Plowing Path!--Kids Toys--Bikes--Lawn Mowers--ECT! WE All make Mistakes! Your Not Alone!--NO Not by a long Shot!--So Don*t Feel BAD!--Back yrs AGO! I had ONE young Feller that seemed Un-Abe to DO Any-Thing Right? He drove a Dump Truck & would Get Stuck? or Dam near Tip it Over? on its Side?--just about Every Trip?--The Entire CREW! nick Named HIM--CRASH! & He was a Good KID--but--was Trying Too HARD too be --One of the GUYS!--The BOSS informed ME! to FIRE! HIM!--& I Re-Fussed! & the Boss & I had a Discussion!--as I Explained! I Rememberd the BOSS making Mistakes when HE was Young--OK JIM--but--You better Get HIM Streightened OUT?--I had a Drivers Meeting! & Explained the DOS & DONTS to Every One! Not Singling Out this Young Feller! as most Foremen DO! & I Didn*t YELL & Hollar at HIM when He Did Get STUCK! I just Went & Pulled Him OUT!--& One Evening One of the Old Guys Got STUCK Real GOOD!--Last LOAD! of the DAY!--NO Cell Phones or Radios back then!--& back at the SHOP! the Young Feller Noticed Ole TOM was MISSING?--& started Asking Every ONE!--YOU seen Ole TOM?==NO! Now Ole TOM was a WW11 Veteran--was a TANK Driver! & Lost One of His Legs in the Battle of the BULDGE--& as the Drivers Left One by One! their Days Work Done!--The KID asked ME to give HIM a Ride to the Job Site!--OK as I*M going over There Myself! get IN! upon Arriving every thng looked Normal? Nothing Out of the Way?--NO Truck? NO TOM?--We had been Back Filling the End of Fill Area!--which left a Steep Bank aprox 20 feet High!--the KID was walking along the Edge! & 50 feet in front of ME! & all of a Sudden Isaw HIM Leap off the Top of the Bank!--I Rushed Over!--& there was Ole TOMS TRUCK-Up-SideDown! at the Bottom of the Fill Area!--the KID had Leaped & landed right beside the CAB!--& Before I could even Get Down that Banking! The KID Ripped Open that Truck Door & Dragged Ole Tom Out! who was Unconcious!--WE got Ole TOM Awake & He was in Pain Broken Shoulder!--& The KID HUGGED Ole TOM & w/Tears streaming down His FACE!--assuring Ole TOM that He would Be OK!--& Ole TOM was a Loner! never Married & Not all that Many Freinds!--well things were Never the Same AGAIN!--Ole TOM & the KID were Allways Together! after That! & NO ONE ever KIDED the KID AGAIN!--& the KID? well Hes the ROAD COMMISNOR of Our TOWN! & YES! Hes the BOSS!--& Ole TOM He Passed Away yrs AGO--Frgotten? NO! as the Kid still Mows Ole TOMS Grave all Summer Long!--& He Goes by His New Nick Name! NOT CRASH Any-more!-- [ Young TOMMY] --We call HIM & HE Answers to IT!--& Hes One HEll of an Engineer!--Ole JIM--
  8. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

ole dan

Well, Ole Dan learned his lesson the hard way....with $$$. I've plowed for other people for 6 yrs. Plowed hundreds of drives, never touched a thing. I guess I was about due. It's like getting poison ivy....it doesn't really hurt, but it bugs the hell out of ya.
  9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

These things happen. I backed into a gate post, a customer who own's a used car lot,just got done and paid and Charlie asked if I could make sure the mailbox area was clear at the street.
    Sure thing,I go out there drop the plow and clear a path in front of the mailbox. I look up and here comes a car going like hell. I was sticking out in the lane a little so I back up into what I thought was the driveway. Man what was that noise, I hit the corner gate post and bent it about 3-4 inch's. Got out and looked and told Charlie what happen.
    I am going down this weekend and hook a chain on it and will try to straighten it. If that doesn't work I will call a fence company to come replace it. My fault for not looking behind me,and I will take care of it. This things happen.

Regards Mike
  10. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

After I backed into a car I promised meself that every plow truck I ever operate will have 2 things
    1. High intensity back-up lights
    2. Slider for the rear window
    The biggest pain I suffered was to my ego :(
  11. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Hey don't feel bad got one myself the other night. Although I think I can fix it my self. Hopefully because. Looks like I just knocked the track loose from the wood frame. I did not even know that I did it until the guy shoveling waved me down and asked if I realized what I did. Heck I thought I stopped well short of it. But I was pushing the snow with a layer of 2 inches of ice on it. ~!$@ happens learn and move on.
  12. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

home wrecker

well lets see i took out a lamppost one time
    flipped a few wooden flower pots you know the half a
    pickle barrell that goes rollling in crest in front of you ...
    an extension ladder and numerous toys ...**** happens.

oh well all in a days work and somebody's got to do it :drinkup: :drinkup:
  13. cc2004

cc2004 Member

I don't worrie about stuff like that.If your going to plow it's going to happen but,hopefully not to bad.

When it happens we all have to make it right and it's done.
  14. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I had the privilidge (spelling) to plow last weds. with my freinds dads 04 f250 8ft meyer. Boy it was fun. I loved it... Anyway, he tought me how to do it, and i only messed up a little. I was plowing my dads driveway (circle drive), and I tore up the grass, but I know alot of people probably (spelling?) do this their first time. Then after that I plowed several other driveways and did excellent. I love plowing, It was so fun. Once I get my plow truck, im going to be sooo cautious when out there. Im hoping to get a 2500hd or 3500 diesel in two months or so, I want to get a light bar, strobes, HID headlights, and some high intensity (spelling?) lights in the rear.

That sucks about he door though, It would have scared the crap out of me!

15. schnitz

schnitz Member

Hitting anything really sucks. Last year a buddy of mine scraped a car door (it was a rust bucket mid 80's GM midsize 4 door) and wound up paying about $1600 to get it fixed. That 9" snow we had on Dec. 20, '04 left a real nice scrape in my lower left door area. Missed the rocker, but stripped about 2 1/2' of door to the primer. I totally missed a wheelbarrow sized rock. Ouch. Bodyshop is going to love that one. payup
  16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just a thought on insurance. Make sure it's worth it before you even call them. Like you said, with the deductibles you may be better off just paying for it yourself. Another thing to consider is that when you call your agent or your underwriter, your conversation might be recorded. It could then be used to, at best, increase your rates even though you don't file a claim. If you file a claim, you might also not be offered insurance the following year.

I won't plow without insurance. But I also won't file a claim until it's "the big one". Then just figure I'm out of business the following year.
  17. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

And that is more of some of the best advice your gonna get today or tomorrow :)