Snow Plowing Forum banner

First Commerical - Gas Station

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  hunt 444e 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.....Im new. Just started a landscaping biz and now moving into snow removal.

So im a big time rookie in this business and think I might have my first commerical account. Its a gas station. I have nooooo clue on giving this a qoute. What are some things you look at or how do you qoute a gas station.

#6 ·
check with your insurance provider, mine won't insure me to do gas stations

#7 ·
Best of luck to ya with the gas station, as of the storm we had 2 weeks ago im done with them. Too many people and cars going thru. Not worth the little bit of money they pay. Also make sure you meet with them prior to any storms, you wanna find thoes lids to the tanks before you hit them with your truck. Another tip, add a backup alarm to your truck and make sure you got some lights going. and really watch out.

#10 ·
The liability on the Ins. companies is immense in gas stations. Not only the people constantly moving in and out of them in both cars and foot, in a tight congested area, but also, things like clipping a pump, and spilling even the slightest amount of gas immediately becomes(in the legal world) a haz-mat clean up, or even the foam fire supressions sytem, clip that and see how much that ends up costing. Hence why many coverage's deny gas station plowing.

#11 ·
I recently picked up a gas station with 10-15 pumps. Not large in size, but its ridiculous how low they wanted to keep the cost. I figured it would take me anywhere from 25-45 mins depending on the amount of snow so i charged what i would charge per hour $85. Hope this helps in your quoting. Also, they are closed overnight which makes it much easier to plow.

#12 ·
I would start somewhere other than a gas station to get your feet wet. Working your way up to something like this is a good idea, for a young fledgling like yourself. Think about it... every customer that drives in there is going to put at least two feet on the ground. Maybe not the ledge you want to jump off of for your first time.

#13 ·
floriolandscape;1347415 said:
I recently picked up a gas station with 10-15 pumps. Not large in size, but its ridiculous how low they wanted to keep the cost. I figured it would take me anywhere from 25-45 mins depending on the amount of snow so i charged what i would charge per hour $85. Hope this helps in your quoting. Also, they are closed overnight which makes it much easier to plow.
When it comes down to it. I get alot more than $85 per hour. I have to pay another driver, insurance, and expense. This is why I LOVE driveways and hate gas stations, hospitals, grocery stores, etc. There is just to much time involved in them, and people want you to work for free.

#14 ·
No way would I plow a gas station. Too busy with cars/people and thus a higher risk of an accident. Plus those tank caps can turn into hockey pucks if you don't wreck them to begin with. A green horn doesn't need to be plowing gas stations. Find some easier lots.

#15 ·
They are going to want you there night and day to clean everything up and salt, so take that into consideration..

#16 ·
BOSSMAN21

I use to work at a Reynolds Landscape Group who did snow and summer work.

Moneyclass

I purchased a White Knight trailer hitch mounted reverse lighting system that sure aids in seeing whats behind you at night. Great feature is that it takes mere moments to install. Make sure you lock the lights when installed in hitch. Takes mere moments to steal. As for business insurance, I was also told my rates would go up if I plowed fuel stations....

#17 ·
If u do get awarded the station keep in mind all of the above. I ve been doing smaller 1/2 acre fuel/convenience stores since day one, dont be nervous nerves r no good in busy lots. the best thing to do with the fill caps is cones or 5 gallon buckets.allows u to plow/b drag to them,then mov em away.no matter if u have a train horn for a backup alarm people/crazed kids will always run behind u. Stay with a pickup not a dumo body the more vis u have, the less chance of someone gettin hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.