1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Commercial Lot...Help!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by krug, Dec 19, 2009.

1. krug

krug Junior Member

I have a bunch of small apartment building lots, but this is my first commercial business lot and I'm a little unsure what is fair. We have to clear and salt the following lot.

It's the building marked "Acklands Grainger" but the business is actually Coastal Door.....the Google monkey was drunk. The lot is the south-east side of the building. We also have to cut a walking path for a fire escape that runs along the entire south-west side and about halfway up the north-west side of the building. I have me and my truck and a helper with a snow blower.

Any help or comments is appreciated.
  2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Are they asking for a price by the push or for the season?
  3. krug

krug Junior Member

I have structured all my other contracts on a 'per event' basis....seems to work well for everyone.....but this particular company will be open to whatever I suggest. I do other work for them year round, so I have a good relationship with them. I have never done a seasonal contract, they've always scared me in the event that we get 60 events of 4cm each!
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Well what is an "event" considered. A 24 hour period in which you will plow and salt it for a set price, or a per push price for everytime you are there?
  5. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

A per event should be simple to price for snow clearing. It looks to be an easy open lot, not like apartments where cars are always in the way creating obstacles and having to back drag stalls.

I try to keep salting on a per application basis.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you outline on the pic exactly what you need to clear snow from?
  7. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Yeah,... I see Acklands Grainger and Coastal door on the map..... Might as well price them both while we are all here.:jester:
  8. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

I've always calculated how much salt I have to use times .20. Then I figure out how much time it's gonna take me to do it (round up). so at $125/hr plus a Ton of salt = $325. I would add in an extra half hour or so for the sidewalks and gas/travel time. somewhere around $400-425. What do the rest of you guys think?
  9. krug

krug Junior Member

Burkart.....Per event is per storm. I historically have charged an extra 50 percent for events over 20cm. Which is usually just 2-3 times per year here.
    Lot outline.....I will need to backdrag most of the SE side where you see the semis parked.
    RSP....your pricing outline is somewhat close to my gut feel....but as mentioned this is the first of its kind for me.

I have purused this forum for probably a year now and this is my first real use of it.....I love it. Thanks fellas!
  10. krug

krug Junior Member

Readysnow.....you are multiplying .20 x what measurement of salt?