1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Commercial Bid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HereToLearn, Dec 9, 2004.

1. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

I was at my doctors office today and he wanted an estimate to plow and shovel the walk. The walk is only about 20 feet long and would not take too long to shovel. Here's a picture of the area to be plowed. There are around 15 parking spaces on the right. I am standing at the far end of the lot, there's nothing behind me. I was thinking around $35. Who agrees, who doesn't and why. Thanks guys.

Card 001.jpg

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

$35.00 would be what I would charge to do the sidewalk. The lot I would charge 75.00- 100.00 per storm,but that is just me. I bet he is paying more than that now.

3. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

wow. ok what am I missing here? How long do you think it would take you to do the job Bolts?

4. Bolts Indus.

About a 1/2 hour to shovel 4-6 inches.

About 15 min. travel time.
    1/2 hour plow lot.
    15 min. return trip travel time to clean up.
    15 min. to clean up.

Total 1 hour 45 min. = $135.00

5. Foz

Foz Senior Member

$35.00 is too cheap! Figure your time plowing is worth at least $150.00 per hour, include your travel. If it takes 15 minutes to get there and 1/2 hour total to plow & shovel (figure up to 4 inches of snow) then your total is 3/4 of an hour or $150 x 0.75 = $112.50.....adjust to your comfort level, if it was me I would likely bid at $100.00 per push, and $70 to salt lot & calcium the walk.

6. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

HTL,
    is this off the books?? Cash only deal..more than likely you'll get a check. Then you have reportable income. Figure taxes, insurance, equipment maintenance, and operators salary + sidewalk shoveler salary. You just paid the doctor to plow his lot.
    If its cash i would say 2"-6" $100 then $25 for the s/w. Then 6"-10"= X 1.5 and so on. Does he want salt on the lot and calcium on the s/w??Then you have additional$ for that. Just my $.02 Hope you get it.
    Regards
    Jack

7. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

Good thing I asked you guys first. I have almost all residentials this year. Half of which are in the same subdivision. I can knock out almost that whole neighborhood in 2 hours.

Being my first commercial bid, I wanted to consult the pros first. He doesn't want any salt, only plow and shovel. Drive time about 15 min each way. Sounds like I should be right around $100 then. I wish I knew what he was getting now. Not that I want to under bid him, but he said that this guy really didn't want to do it this year and that he (my doc) is looking for someone new.

8. Bolts Indus.

Ask your Doc. how much he would charge you to run over to your place in a 40,000.00 rig ( if he had one that cheap) and have a look at you for an hour when your sick. Tell him you need the same.

9. andersonbldrs

andersonbldrs Member

If you bid this at 100.00 you'll never get it. 35.00 plus 10.00- 15.00 to shovel is more in line. Let me know what happens. Where are the rest of you moving snow at those rates!? Not here.

10. Bolts Indus.

If I bid that at a 100.00 a storm and didn't get it I would be thankfull. Then I would have the time to fit in a customer that will pay a fair price for a good job. I wouldn't start my truck for 35.00

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Bolts
    If that lot is going to take you a 1/2 hour you can't be using a Blizzard. If that lot takes longer then 15 minutes you are in the wrong job. We price per year with a 1" trigger. 15 plows average. That place would be worth $1250. for the year.

12. andersonbldrs

andersonbldrs Member

Your truck should already be running. As you should be doing the place next door ......and the one on the other side. And so on. Yes I agree 15 min. tops. Unless you get a foot. In that case you should have been there at least twice. If not (falls extremely rapid) that is also covered in my contracts

13. Bolts Indus.

He didn't say he had a Blizzard 810. I assumed he meant straight blade. But I still wouldn't start my truck with the 810 for 35.00. It doesn't matter if I can do the job faster with an 810, the job is worth xxx number of dollars in order to make a profit. Sorry if I'm overpriced but I don't think so.

14. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

If you bid this at 100.00 you'll never get it. 35.00 plus 10.00- 15.00 to shovel is more in line. Let me know what happens. Where are the rest of you moving snow at those rates!? Not here.

Do you know how much that doctor makes an hour!!.... u have to make over 100 bucks to be worth your while.. this guy doesnt know what hes talking about

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

$80 to plow lot and shovel sidewalks. Should take 20 minutes. I know alot of guys in my area would only charge 35 bucks to do that job. One thing you got to remember is that rates change drastically by regions.

16. andersonbldrs

andersonbldrs Member

it doesn't matter what the doctor makes per hour. Do you know how much school he went through? bottom line bid 100.00 you won't get it. Someone will bid the 35.00 it's worth and get the job.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Bolts
    I had no intention to piss you off. You are right. He is just starting out and looking for some advice. He still has to price against experienced guys though. There is not a hope we would get that job for $100 in TO. I just priced a 12 car parking lot with a 20x30 piece out front for $700 for the year and I wasn't even close.

18. andersonbldrs

andersonbldrs Member

I do lots five times that size for 100.00. So I should get 500.00? I wish! Not even close. They bawk at the c-note. Must be the area. I know rates are diff. everywhere

19. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Bingo....if I went out east with my prices I would be considered a low baller but here I'm right inline with what most charge, maybe a tad higher.

20. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

If some of you guys were here in Michigan you would have to sell your plows, I have been doing this since 98', and there is no way that anybody would pay that much, mainly because of the low-ballers, and i'm not just talking about kids with plows. I have seen large CO bid low and use subs @ average $50.00 so you guys with the I won't start my truck for so much don't live in Michigan. I could pro. get $65- $70 with sidewalk.