1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First commercial bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by cmland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. cmland

cmland Junior Member
    from PA

sq ft is 10,300

Lot is plowed and salted. (2) concrete entranceways about 100ft2 each to be shoveled and calcium chloride put down

Plan to bid is:
    1" trigger for plow
    <1 salt @ $100
    1-3" @ $120 and $80 salt
    3-6" @ $150 and $80 salt
    6+ inches billed @ $150 + extra $20/inch over 6" and $80 salt

If multiple trips are made during long storm they are billed accordingly for each trip. Might include a clean-up charge if in-business hours I could not get around care. Maybe around $80 for clean-up after hours.

Hows this look? I have only done residential in the past.

Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 12.23.49 PM.png

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Seems ok to me, where are you located?

3. cmland

cmland Junior Member
    from PA

located in PA

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

$480/acre for plowing and $320/acre salting? I wish I could get half those numbers.

If that were where I'm at, it would go for about $50/push and $30/salt.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You can't look at like that. The lot is the lot and that is the bid to service it.

6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

By that logic a normal driveway would be about 700 per acre

That's why I don't have a price per acre and apply that to every lot

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  7. cmland

cmland Junior Member
    from PA

I appreciate all feedback and have one question about the bid-

We had long strings of days under 20 degrees last year. Do I put in a clause that calcium chloride be used on whole lot when temps are under 20? maybe 25? If not expected to rise that day. For an additional cost- maybe $120 total for app figuring 4 bags at my cost of $15/bag needed to service the lot

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What do they want ,salt wise? You keep dumping salt and they might get sticker shock.Call and ask.

9. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Ya I agree, find out there expectaions, alot of customers don't think about things like that, another way to go is to just price it so you can afford to use either, depending on what you or customer think is needed.

10. cmland

cmland Junior Member
    from PA

I priced as above 20 degrees and below saying salt used above 20 for $80 and cc used below 20 for $120. thinking $60 for app plus material cost. Put in contract that app prices remain constant but policies ranging from no salt to zero ice tolerance can be arranged, with the recommended and most used contract being contractor discretion for use, applied at quoted rates.