1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Commercial Account - Input on an estimate would be helpful!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by RamirezOrchards, Jan 27, 2010.

1. RamirezOrchards

RamirezOrchards Member
    from CT

A friend of mine's best friend wants me to do the plowing for his store and I'd like to shoot him a quote before the next snowfall. What do you guys think I should charge him for plowing, shoveling the sidewalk/steps and salting? I attached some pictures of his store. Thanks! :drinkup:

2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

neat looking old building!
  3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

10,000 dollars
  4. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

How to price.

Figure out how long it will take you to get there.

How long to Plow
    How long to Shovel

Add how long to get to next site.

(Is the trigger different than those two site?)If yes add 25%

Total hours of work.

Multiply total hours of work by your hourly rate and you have a number.

Things to consider. Where are you going to put the snow? What is the city going to do with the snow from the street. Do you only do the walks when you plow (there is nothing worse than having to go to a site like this to clear the walks for $5 when it is almost an hour drive.

How aggressive is the salting? (will you be expected to treat refreeze)

Salt will be minimal on a site like this. It is possible that you could get away with a couple of bags of sidewalk salt.

Around here you might be looking 50 +25 to salt. You might also be looking 200 +125 salt. It all depends on where your minimums are for service.
  5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I know that store-and there is normally a tractor trailer parked there as well that isn't shown. You definitely need to think about where the snow will be put. Does he want pricing per hour, per push, or seasonal? Ballpark guess on that property would be 100 to plow, and 30 to shovel the sidewalks for a 6 inch storm. Salting I would charge per bag applied-a few dollars plus the cost of the material.

Why does he want to change contractors? Make sure that you aren't being used to drive everyone elses prices down. People have to pay for good service, and lowballing will only make it tougher for anyone to be in the business.

See silentroos response above for an accurate way to price-assuming you have a decent hourly rate decided. Do you have insurance and all that may be required for a business? Don't lose your house based on a slip and fall to save (or make) a couple dollars when you do commercial work.
  6. RamirezOrchards

RamirezOrchards Member
    from CT

Thanks for the heads up. I was figuring about $100 to $120 myself. There is a full size trailer there used as storage as well as a storage container that I need to work around (plus clear the loading dock). I do have liability insurance. I also do not want to low ball business since the only thing it will do is hurt everyone else in the business! Thanks for all the input
  7. RamirezOrchards

RamirezOrchards Member
    from CT

Maybe if I land the job at a price that high I will be able to afford to hire someone to design such a fine website like yours!
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Can you plow some of the sidewalk with your truck? Looks like maybe you can. But it's hard to tell from the pics.