1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Boss V

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by BushHogBoy, Dec 30, 2012.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Christmas Eve I went to look at a Boss V I found on craigslist, gave money down on it, so the guy could remove the mount from his truck Christmas day, then i came up to remove the harness on Christmas day, then went to install it on my truck. Came off the same model truck so the mount was correct. Had a little hiccup with the headlight harness being a different year I think is the problem but we were able to make it work. Just in time for a 8" drop on the 26th!
    It's a 2003 RT3 Rapid Tach II, 9' 2" w/Curb protector edges, on a 1996 Ram 3500 with gobs of goodies and mods. Works great! After the first storm I was going through the rig on Friday working out bugs before the Friday night storm (logged 30 hours in first storm), and found that the pivot pin that holds the sector to the push frame had a broken retainer stud or bolt (not sure?) looked to have been broken for a while and we just hadn't noticed, so a friend who pushes with us made a new one at his work real quick, got me back on the road! Hopefully in the off season I can rehab it and get it looking a lot better! The push frame has been replaced at some point, and the lights I don't think are original. I had to extend the mount, kind of disappointed in that, my truck only has 2" coil spacers up front and the tires are 33.5" tall. Around here that isn't even considered lifted for a Dodge, everyone runs coil spacers and 33's lol. anyway, I'm happy with the plow so far really like the V, but I will say if I ever replace this one, the next will have trip edges! Never had a problem with a full trip straight plow but with the V I swear I will break my face off the windshield before it trips!!! :cry: Even in straight blade, angled configuration it doesn't trip. I've managed to trip it once or twice on a curb but manhole covers are a !#%@*!!!!

photo 1 (1).jpg

photo 3 (1).jpg
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's why I like my springs loose.As soon as I get to the end of the lot and it comes to the grass line or curb it will tip forward.
  3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Nice Ride, man Thumbs Up
  4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks DogPlow. If interested I can post more specs on the truck....

Grandview, Initially for the first storm I didn't adjust them any from where previous owner had them, and I thought it was OK, didn't have any complaints. Before the second storm when I replaced the pivot pin (the one that it pivots on while it trips over), I had to remove the eye bolts from the push frame, when I put them back I ran the nuts on further than they were before, but not much. By the second storm I was noticing that they were way to tight. On the straight blades I always run them pretty tight for scraping purposes. With all the wet snow here a lot tends to freeze to the ground and when doing cleanup or getting to a last priority account later on, the straight blades tend to ride tripped over a lot, so I was overcompensating for that. However, before the next storm I need to drop the plow and re-adjust them much looser, this crap is for the birds LOL. It just seems like it doesn't trip AT ALL! The guy I sub for has a 9' 2" RT2 on his Chevy dually and his is the same way especially when in scoop or V mode it doesn't trip for crap. I know where a lot of the manhole lids are but some are sneaky! I would probably never plow a gas station with any plow but certainly not a full trip Boss V lol

I'll get around to adjusting the springs and hopefully that makes me feel better about it....
  5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Always interested in more pix and specs on Dodge Cummins rides Thumbs Up

Do you plow in 4L or 4H ???? Owners manual in my truck said to run it in 4L
  6. grandview

That's why you need to know your lots!
  7. exmark

exmark Senior Member

That's a clean looking truck. Im trying to find one exactly like yours.
  8. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

yeah I don't think those lights are original either. mine are more rounded than square. I have an 8' super duty straight blade, smart 2 hitch.
  9. grandview

Could be off an earlier Boss setup,late 90's -2000
  10. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Ok I'll post more details later tonight I finally thought of something to go do, get a board and cut to fit in the slots in the bed so I can take the tailgate off LOL. I plow in high, but it's a 5 speed. FWIW, the guy I sub for, has all Chevy/GMC fleet, almost all are 88-98 with TBI 350, automatics, and they run them in high range as well, low if very deep..... if I'm in his trucks it is almost always low range unless just plowing a very light amount. I don't beat on other people's stuff and I rarely beat on my own anymore LOL...

I am well familiar with most of them, many lots I have plowed for years, however sometimes I find something I forgot about or like the big apartment complex that I am doing, has been doubled in size since the last time I pushed it. We didn't get any snow to push last winter at all.

Thanks, this one I pulled from Monticello, KY, way down south in KY. Almost to TN. It has a lot of hard miles on it but is mostly redone. Actually I think its all redone at one point or another LOL by either me or previous owner. I've had it since April of 2011 I think. It's a tank.... I've had 9 or 10 Dodge diesels and am very well versed in working on them, a friend and I work on them as a side business, mostly performance work but also some repair.
  11. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Oh, they say Peterson MFG on them so I'm assuming not OEM, however I was thinking I'd seen Peterson used as OEM on some things before, probably nothing Boss had, but I wasn't sure....
  12. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Nice, more plowing pics please :nod:
  13. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Soon as we get more snow, I will try to get more pics. Right now there's nothing left to push.... i never think to get out and take a pic and like i said my co-pilot for some reason never wants to stretch his legs LOL
  14. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Great looking setup. Love a Cummins. I see you have dropped a 24V in it, why not stay with the 12V or was that swapped before you got it? What mods does it have?
  15. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thanks! It came to me with the swap done, from what I've been able to figure out, the truck was owned by a horse farm and pulled a huge gooseneck stock trailer. Must have been very large; truck has vacuum over hydraulic trailer brake system for the gooseneck hitch. Also the original 12V was melted down from what I can tell. Normally as I'm sure you know, this swap is done for performance, however I don't think that was the case this time. It ran like poop when I got it, they managed to put it together (in typical cobbled Kentucky fashion) and it ran and drove, but it didn't run very well. I've tuned it in over time and its not too bad. I would try not to pick on Kentuckians too much, but every single truck me and my friends have got from Kentucky has turned out to be a mess.... the allure of a clean body is strong for a rust belt livin' Hoosier though LOL.... we're better at mechanical work than body work and too poor to travel any further south, so we keep getting them LOL.....

Anyway, I'm guessing the engine was either conveniently available, or they didn't have a clue how to tune it and just thought that simply swapping in a 24V was the answer to their temperature issues and that setting the pump up for the engine wasn't necessary. I'm not really sure what happened there. Anyway, it's acceptable now.
    It was pretty much all stock when I got it. Here's the rundown on specs, every modification except the engine swap I have done. I like to build my own stuff and I take pride in what I do.

Under the hood/drivetrain:

Freightliner Cummins 5.9L ISB 24 Valve (basically same as the Dodge version internally, but have big thrust bearing for crank)

210hp P7100 pump

4,000 RPM governor springs

18* timing

No fuel plate

Tuned AFC (forever in progress)- I've created some in-cab adjustments for this...

Laser cut delivery valves

Racked barrels

Holley 12-920 lift pump

Fresh head gasket & bolts, over-torqued

Valves snugged up

Currently running 50hp injector nozzles, have been waiting on my 150's to show up for 2 months now, apparently the machine shop is behind ???

Polydyne Stainless equal length header

60mm HX35/40 hybrid turbo w/polished housing, eventually this will be the secondary in a compound setup using an HT3B as the primary

Jacobs exhaust brake

4" downpipe wrapped

6" custom built straight exhaust from downpipe back

AFE BHAF to breathe

Custom dual 2-speed electric fans

Commercial 950 CCA batteries (top mount threaded stud instead of cheesy lead post/clamp style)

1,000 Watt continuous inverter mounted underhood, runs power tools if needed
    Vacuum/Hydraulic trailer brake system underhood

NV4500 5 speed, freshened up, Luk clutch for now.... dual disc and 1 3/8" input to come later...

NP241DHD transfer case

Dana 60 front, 4.10 and open diff, still running the vacuum actuator, but I've got my own electric valve setup on it, so the front actuator is push button operated, primarily this was to enable a 2wd low range option for maneuvering trailers in tight spaces w/o riding the clutch, however it is a nice option when pushing snow, saves the lazy person from reaching down and shifting the transfer case frequently for tight maneuvering LOL (one day maybe I'll convert the front axle to use rock crawler competition CV shafts instead of the ever-binding U joints, just an idea I had....)

Dana 80 rear, 4.10 posi with fresh Yukon ring and pinion gears

Soon to have custom built engine driven on-board air system with a York V-twin compressor (should be fun to squeeze under the hood especially with compound turbos, these pumps are HUGE), and 5-10 gallon tank

Exterior mods:

Clear head/turn lights w/HID conversion

Fog lights

Power/heated tow mirrors (yes the power part works after swapping 98-02 connectors/pigtails, eventually the heated part will when I figure out what resistor to use and a clean factory looking switch to use)

Clear tail lights

Deleted the cab visor that came on it, apparently it used to have a cab fairing as well.. These left some nice ugly bolts and bolt holes all over the poor cab :rolleyes:

2" steel coil spacers up front

Steering box brace

Firestone Ride-Rite air bags in back

Steel 19.5" rims, taken from a GM P30 step van, these are the correct lug pattern, but the center hub hole bore is 4.5" which is perfect for GM trucks, but is 1/4" too small for Dana axles. Given the thickness of them and the precision needed (since the wheels are hub-centric) I had the center hole machined to 4.78" to fit the Dodge hubs (this is the size of factory wheels)

Custom made 245/70/19.5 Good Year Wrangler MTR tires, 14 ply, load rating 4500 # each. These measure out to 33.5" tall, 9.5" wide and no spacers required in the rear with these wheels. The gap between duals isn't super generous but seems ample for my uses so far...

5" flood lights under rear bumper (on 3 way switch: on/off/on in reverse)

gooseneck ball, 2" receiver hitch

Rear winch power plug

SmittyBilt 10,000 lb. XRC series winch on receiver mount, usually it's mounted on my trailer but rides with me when plowing, always wind up making some fuel money from pulling people out :cool:

The 4x4 decal on the tailgate I replaced with a 6x6 one I had made.... last I checked it has 6 wheels not 4.... Thumbs Up

Interior mods:

Gas engine truck gauge cluster (higher RPM tachometer)

Autometer boost and pyrometer gauges (on the A pillar of course)

Reese Pilot digital brake controller

The hydraulic trailer brake "controller" (gauge and manual override) it tees into truck master cylinder for proportioning (pretty neat setup)

Highly modified dash bezel and slightly modified dash structure to fit a Kenwood DNX6980 dual-din DVD/NAV unit, this removed the ashtray that never got used...

Cobra 75 WX ST CB radio (remote mount, all controls in handheld mic) w/weather station, external speaker I built into a filler panel to go where the cubby was to left of cupholder

Cobra radar detector

400 Watt power inverter mounted under the seat

Custom built laptop mount

Geno's garage center console cupholder

A bank of toggle switches for various things...

On the shifter: switch for exhaust brake, and another I have setup as an emergency trailer brake: it activates a relay which over-rides the brake controller and gives full braking power to electric trailer brakes... I tested it once and have never had to use it, but I've had brake controllers fail unexpectedly before, or just not react quick and hard enough for an emergency stop so i decided to take things into my own hands...

Husky floor mats

Generic seat covers

All the full power options, everything works, a/c is ice cold etc.

I think that's all I can think of for now LOL.... Every single fluid in it is fresh, lots of things have been rebuilt or gone through or redone in the last year and a half or so, and as always I have a full list of things to do to get it more of what I want LOL... Which reminds me, I have a disc brake Dana 80 in storage to go under the rear... wesport I'm one of those people that believes that the ability to stop quickly is more important than the ability to accelerate quickly!
  16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

What a post! Nice ride love the mods you've done
  17. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Oh I forgot it also has a Tork Tek OFV (OverFlow Valve) basically this is the pressure regulator on a P pump... knew I forgot somethin lol.....

I got the trip springs loosened up yesterday, but now looks like we won't have any snow for a while, the ten-day looks all clear :(