1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Blizzard!!!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by qualitycut, Mar 1, 2012.

1. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I just picked up my new truck and decided to try the Blizzard 8100pp instead of the Boss V we had 3 inches of heavy wet snow but that plow rocks wish I would have switched years ago. Is there anything I should look out for as far as issues that may arrise.

2. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

You should expect a quality product, that provides both durable and long-lasting performance, as well as the highest level of efficiency, backed by the largest, and best manufacturer and dealer base in the snow and ice control industry!

3. fireside

fireside Senior Member

After being a blizzard user for 12 seasons. This is what to expect over all you will have very few problems. As they get older i would have a cartriage for each function on hand total 3. The reason for this is as the poistions get older the seals may come apart losing very small peices of rubber sticking the cartraige. On your plow pay close attenention to the truckside mount pockets for broken welds. i have seen this on two plows both the same area. Another area to watch is the bolts(2) that secure the pump to manifold they do come losse causing fluid to leak bad. The final big problem area is bad grounds plow side and truck side. Bad grounds cause the plow to do funny things angle the plow and it raises and so on.
    As for bent wings i have never bent a wing but i have seen the damage to them from hitting solid objects!!!
    once you go white you will never go back.

4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

They are very productive plows. I think the best for commercial plowing. Here is a good tip to use. Don't extend the wings completely in wide pass mode. Pull them back in 2-3" to give extra support across the slide box. I have never bent a wing, but I have bent 2 slide boxes (the part the wing attaches to) Sure it sucks and can be costly to repair, but I agree with Raymond. Enjoy it!

5. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Hey Quality, congrats on buying a new plow!
    Sven gives a good tip on the wing use. See this thread I started for more in depth tips on how to best use your Power Plow. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=132710
    Your 8100 should be mostly free of problems. Sounds like fireside brought up more problems than I have seen. I have NOT seen a wing bend on an 8100, but here are a few minor problems to watch for.
    1} First of all, watch your cutting edge wear. The wing edges should wear straight across for best scraping performance and cutting edge life. 2) As with any plow, watch for fluid leaks. If you develop a hydraulic leak, check to be sure that the allen head cap screw on top of the green manifold did not loosen up. Could save a trip to the shop. 3) Try to keep the plow and truck harnesses from twisting and be sure the plow harness does not get pinched between a-frame and light tower. 4) Check the big pivot bolt on the underside to be sure it has not broken. 5) Don't over stretch the control cord ... ok thats stretching it (no pun intended) ... I guess that's about all I can come up with.
    As for DD and Mr. Murphy, while his statement sounds political it is accurate. Today I had a problem that was outside of the norm. Within a couple hours I received a personal phone call and solution from the technical service team at Blizzard. The exact kind of solution you would expect from an industry leader.

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Like i said.....ALL Plow have their Issues.......But John and his crew are First Class and have always been there to answer any Questions or Resolve any issues that have arisen......:salute:

7. NorthBound09

NorthBound09 Junior Member

Most people don't post anything unless they have had issues with there plow. so the people who read about the plows are getting good but one sided info. Yes you may have a issue now and then same with any plow. I have been plowing with a 05 810pp for four seasons without a issue. Its all original except hoses this year which was more for a piece of mind and kept the old ones for backup. I bought the plow from a friend that hit a guard rail just of center of the plow at 50-55mph it has a little dent I thought it would be bent or something. I had it looked over and nothing was out of place. This plow moves a lot of snow and I have stacks of snow that are 6 inches higher then the roof of my truck so they can stack some snow. As for bent wings just be smart when plowing around curbs, I have hit my fair share of curbs but never bent anything. The amount of time winged plows saves says it all. Time is money. This plow is best used for parking lots but I do my residential with out a problem. I guess what I'm saying is good choice you will be satisfied.

8. NorthBound09

NorthBound09 Junior Member

He was on the highway going 60-65 lost control hit the guard rail. He said is was around 50-55 when he hit. Maybe he streched his speed but his truck was in bad shape and he was hurt pretty bad. even if he wasn't going that fast it was still enough to dent the plow my point was its a well built plow thats all

9. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Blizzard Speedwing user for 7 years-no major problems. It takes maintenance after every storm to keep all plows running. Its the little things, loose bolts, loose connections, Every problem I have had with my Blizzards could have been prevented by me. Pinched cable, mold board worn because of not replacing cutting edge soon enough, loose manifold and pump, ect. I could complain that all these thing were caused by a manufacture because they should have built better-NOT! It was me!

Take care of the low and it will take care of you.