1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First Blizzard Plow

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by dbyrone, Nov 24, 2006.

1. dbyrone

dbyrone Junior Member

Have just had my first blizzard plow installed - 800HD. I have 3 BOSS V-Plows so my experiance is with them. When I push the joy stick forward on the controller on the Blizard, the plow drops to the ground even after I let the joy stick go. Shouldn't I be able to lower the blade down let's say 1 foot and stop? Or is it supposed to drop all the way to the ground by simply touching the joy stick. This seems pretty dangerous if the joy stick is bumped while going down the road and the plow blade drops to the ground. The dealer says that is what the ON/OFF switch is for. I have down control on my BOSS plows. To get them to go to the ground I must hold the stick forward until they hit.

2. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Just don't forget to turn the controller off. That is a shocker!! :eek: I like the feature. I mean, how often are you not dropping the blade down all the way in the first place?

3. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't hold the joystick forward for more than a second or two and you'll be fine. Hold it for more then a Sec or so and it goes into float and drops all of the way.

4. dbyrone

dbyrone Junior Member

It sounds like like your saying I should be able to stop it going down at any point and to get the float position I would hold it forward a little longer.

5. firelwn82

That is correct sir

6. firelwn82

You can adjust the drop speed also. Not sure where it would be on an 800HD but you can do it. I like mibne to drop fast, others do not.The only time its bad is when your trying to adjust the drive height. Puts alot of pressure on the front springs, not to much of a deal though.

7. dbyrone

dbyrone Junior Member

Any idea why mine won't stop? As quick as I can nudge it forward and back off it will drop to the ground.

8. firelwn82

The speed may be set to high. Do you have a problem with it staying up? Maybe the 800HD doesnt have a float but I'm sure it does. It would be stupid not to.

9. dbyrone

dbyrone Junior Member

No problem when it is up. The 800 HD does have a float position accordind to the manual.

10. firelwn82

So does it go straight down just by touching the joystick? The relay may be bad. How old?

11. dbyrone

dbyrone Junior Member

Brand new. I'm thinking the same thing. Stuck solinoid or stuck hyd valve.

12. firelwn82

Sounds like a perfect guess.

13. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

mine goes down with just a touch of the joystick. No problems with it as far as I am concerned. I like it that way!:)

14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Darn it. Now I want to go hook up the plow to see what mine does.

Then again I better not, as Murphy's law will take over and no snow.

I will wait,
    Chris

15. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

It's suppose to drop all the way to the ground. The only way to stop it from lowering is to tap it to raise while lowering. I had the same question when I had my Blizzard.

16. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I think thats how ours is also. It's been a year since I used it but I think just tap the raise where you want it if not all the way on the ground.

17. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

The straight blade joystick controls have an automatic float in the down position. The touch pad has what you are asking for which is a delay. I delay can be added to the joystick but it's kinda a pain in the box. We do them in line of the control wiring. Most operators just adjust the drop speed so it doesn't slam to the ground and then hit lift to cancel the float function.

Jerre

18. Blizzman357

Blizzman357 Junior Member

Adjustable drop speed

Adjusting the drop speed via the knob on the back of the power angling block will prevent the plow from dropping to fast if you accidently hit the down button.

19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Any way to adjust the up speed?